• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best affordable 2 way radios less than $100

in for the education.
that ham radio test seems way hard to pass.
found a site that "teaches" you but its just read
questions and remember the answers. no REAL study material
per se.
This is all you need to pass the Ham test for your license. It has all of the questions and answers that you will see on the test. Give it a read-through and review the questions and answers and you will get your license.

Screenshot_2022-03-14-08-03-11.png

This is all you need to pass the Ham test for your license. It has all of the questions and answers that you will see on the test. Give it a read-through and review the questions and answers and you will get your license.

View attachment 4085145
anybody got this book willing to sell it? im in cobb county.
ive read this book it only gonna be good for a couple more months as the test is about to change again??
electrical IS NOT my strength lol.

I don't really get the point of having a HAM radio, but I guess it's an interesting hobby for some. Sure, you can talk to people in different areas/ states/ countries. But if you're going to do that, might as well use a phone. Both methods are easily traceable.

And if you're setting up radio comms for personal use and/or SHTF situations... just run walkies (FRS) and GMRS. In emergency situations, you can use any radio frequency.

Regardless, none of them are really "secure" unless you have an FCC business license and radios capable of encryption. Which means both you and whomever you're talking too has to have the same encryption and capabilities. I don't foresee very many people doing that. It's not practical or cheap.

Maybe someone into HAM can enlighten ODT?

I don't really get the point of having a HAM radio, but I guess it's an interesting hobby for some. Sure, you can talk to people in different areas/ states/ countries. But if you're going to do that, might as well use a phone. Both methods are easily traceable.

And if you're setting up radio comms for personal use and/or SHTF situations... just run walkies (FRS) and GMRS. In emergency situations, you can use any radio frequency.

Regardless, none of them are really "secure" unless you have an FCC business license and radios capable of encryption. Which means both you and whomever you're talking too has to have the same encryption and capabilities. I don't foresee very many people doing that. It's not practical or cheap.

Maybe someone into HAM can enlighten ODT?
i think the point was for a grid down situation. in that case your cell is gonna be useless
where HAM should still be up and running. in theory anyways.

i think the point was for a grid down situation. in that case your cell is gonna be useless
where HAM should still be up and running. in theory anyways.

There’s 2 reasons cell grids would be shut down; EMPs or the govt shuts it down. In either case, radio towers would be down too. They both operate on radio frequencies. Only satellites would be up (unless the govt blocks them too).

In areas there’s bad cell reception, HAM is beneficial. But I run GMRS and talk to people in other states so don’t really see the need for HAM. I guess having more frequencies is a plus.

In a SHTF situation, I highly doubt most people will need to jump on a radio with someone a few hundred miles away. It’s most likely one would need to communicate with family/ friends. And at that point, FCC rules are irrelevant.

There’s 2 reasons cell grids would be shut down; EMPs or the govt shuts it down. In either case, radio towers would be down too. They both operate on radio frequencies. Only satellites would be up (unless the govt blocks them too).

In areas there’s bad cell reception, HAM is beneficial. But I run GMRS and talk to people in other states so don’t really see the need for HAM. I guess having more frequencies is a plus.

In a SHTF situation, I highly doubt most people will need to jump on a radio with someone a few hundred miles away. It’s most likely one would need to communicate with family/ friends. And at that point, FCC rules are irrelevant.
i dont know bro. you just always here folks saying they use HAM just incase for this purpose.
you need a license for GMRS? if your out in the woods alone say, you get bit by a damn rattler.
cell is dead. which would be best to get emergency services HAM or GMRS?
all new to this type thing mid you.

Back
Top Bottom