• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bill allowing campus carry signed by Gov. Deal

I think this bill just clarifies vehicle carry through a school safety zone.

Do don't have to disarm to drop your kid off at school and you can park on school property with a gun in your car for a parent teacher conference. I don't think it means a person with a GWL can legally walk down the hallway of a school armed.

It does, however, layout the groundwork for arming teachers.

Maybe this will help:

(c) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:
6)

.. A person who is
........ licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129
........ or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10
..... when he or she is
........ within a school safety zone
........ or on a bus or other transportation furnished by a school
.. or a person who is
........ licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129
........ or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10
..... when he or she has
........ any firearm legally kept within a vehicle
..... when such vehicle is
........ parked within a school safety zone
........ or is in transit through a designated school safety zone;

capt dave HB60 allows the school board to arm teachers, that's in addition to current law that allows administration to give permission for individuals to carry.

Here is the whole thing.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20132014/HB/826

I have no business on school property but I still would not want to be the first person to try it out.

What?! you don't want to go OC and watch kids cowering in the bleachers? It's your right you know!

Seriously though, John Monroe (GCO head council) is already working on it and as a student I've already contacted campus police to notify them and find out how they plan on proceeding.

You need to understand that this code section totally changes the definition of a School Safety Zone as we know it:

Here is the old definition: O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127.1

(1) "School safety zone" means in or on any real property owned by or leased to any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education and in or on the campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of postsecondary education.

Here is the new definition:

(8 ) 'School safety zone' means in or on any real property or building owned by or leased to any school or postsecondary institution.

Then this code section gives the exemption to GWCL holders to be on or in a "School safety zone" while armed. It completely removed " when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property" from the old exemption

(c) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:
(6) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when he or she is within a school safety zone or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the a school or a person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10 when he or she has any firearm legally kept within a vehicle when such vehicle is parked within a school safety zone or is in transit through a designated school safety zone;

Seriously though, John Monroe (GCO head council) is already working on it and as a student I've already contacted campus police to notify them and find out how they plan on proceeding.

This will be interesting to see just how this all pans out in interpretation but it seems like someone missed a word. Melinda Ennis is married to AJC's editor Bert Roughton, a managing editor and the senior editorial director of the AJC. If she was in tears that HB 60 was passed after the attempt to gut in committee failed, I wonder how she will "feel" now if this is indeed true.

Can they just go back and correct it stating it was a typo and oops, sorry about that, then have the Governor sign the "corrected" copy?

This will be interesting to see just how this all pans out in interpretation but it seems like someone missed a word. Melinda Ennis is married to AJC's editor Bert Roughton, a managing editor and the senior editorial director of the AJC. If she was in tears that HB 60 was passed after the attempt to gut in committee failed, I wonder how she will "feel" now if this is indeed true.

Can they just go back and correct it stating it was a typo and oops, sorry about that, then have the Governor sign the "corrected" copy?

Nope- it passed legislative council and was signed by the Governor. You are right though, It's hard to imagine that this slipped through the cracks- especially since every single house member voted for it and only two senators opposed. Can you imagine the backlash this will generate? Even scarier is that this wasn't intentional (as far as I know) so it's been sitting there for months with not a peep of opposition.

While this might be in our favor I sincerely hope it encourages all our representatives to do their due diligence before they vote on anything, next time it may be something we don't like that slips through the cracks much like how the machine gun ban passed.

It goes to show you how much influence ODT, GPDO, GCO has on the Antis.

We weren't talking about it on purpose, so they didn't see it.

They see and read everything we write on these forums.

So we can carry in public educational settings......K-12 and Post Secondary come July 1st? Teachers too as long as they have a GWL without permission from the board or Principal?

Back
Top Bottom