• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bill allowing campus carry signed by Gov. Deal

Yep... somebody is going to mess it up... and probably sooner than later. And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it's not an intentional sabotage.

[SIZE=+0]April 30, 2014[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Dear GCO Member,[/SIZE]
cleardot.gif

Yesterday, Governor Deal signed HB 826, which removes much of the "zero tolerance" nonsense from which Georgia students have been suffering in recent years. In addition, HB 826 affects license carriers in the following way. Under current law, it is a crime to carry a weapon on school grounds, but the law does not apply to a person with a Georgia Weapons Carry License when such person carries or picks up a student or when such person has a weapon kept legally in the vehicle. See OCGA 16-11-127.1(c)(7).

HB 826 changes this provision to remove the language about dropping off or picking up a student, so that the new language states that the law does not apply to a person with a license when such person is "within a school safety zone." The definition of in a school safety zone has been changed to make it clear that it includes in the "building" in case that was not clear under the current law.

What this means for you is that, according to GeorgiaCarry.Org, beginning on July 1 it will be legal to carry a weapon on school grounds. There is, however, some debate about the new law, with some in law enforcement and schools claiming that the new law must mean something else. As a result, GeorgiaCarry.Org asks its members to exercise common sense when carrying on school grounds so as to avoid bad publicity with respect to the hypersensitivity likely to be displayed towards a weapon in the school environment. This will have the added benefit of giving the legislature no good or valid reason to re-criminalize weapons in school when the General Assembly meets again.
The complete bill As Sent to the Governor can be found here.

Yes, you can. Employees still require board approval/training.

Remember to use your brains here. We don't need to stir stuff up for no reason. Carry if you want, to but don't do it for the attention just because you can.
Nothing personal just saying it out loud for all to see.

Not sure about that. If the teacher holds a gwl, they would be entitled to the same "privelege" of law that we are: self defense.

Now if they are going to act as a designated armed agent of the school, then this is where they will require the board's approval.

Post secondary.
The way the bill is written and how it meshes with current law, I would say this is incorrect from how I have read it.....So long as the student is a GWL holder they would be exempt from 16-11-127.1.

Just because a person otherwise legal to carry is a student, they would not be under a different set of laws.

The way the bill is written and how it meshes with current law, I would say this is incorrect from how I have read it.....So long as the student is a GWL holder they would be exempt from 16-11-127.1.

Just because a person otherwise legal to carry is a student, they would not be under a different set of laws.

I'm just gonna wait to see how it all pans out, there's a lot of confusion down here in Milledgeville.

Back
Top Bottom