• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bill of sale: yes or no?

For me personally it's a good way to record a transaction that "could" have other consequences in the future, like in the examples above. Even without a BoS being notarized it would make it a lot easier for a LEO to see where the gun went after it left my hands. I'd do the same thing when selling a car, a boat, my house but as mentioned before not so much for a couch, TV or toaster. I have 4-5 BoS from guns I've sold and I honestly couldn't tell you the names on them, other than one guy that I ended up becoming friends with and now we shoot together. However if I need to reference them at any time I know exactly where I've got them filed.

I see where people wouldn't want to give up a name, address, DL #, GWL # and all that - that's getting a bit deep. But a name, address and phone number isn't too much to ask. JMHO

EDIT: I see you commented again and said I can't give one good reason. I feel that what I said is a good reason to ask for that info.

How would you feel if a woman said "You can have my name, but I don't feel comfortable giving you my address"?

Will you walk from someone with cash in hand because he/she won't tell you where his/her kids sleep at night?

I'll fill out a bos if it makes someone happy. Only info going on it though is. NameCity and statePhone numberBeyond that, your not getting it. My employer doesn't even have my home address.

My BoS require finger prints and a blood sample as well. If you want the gun you'll do it!

(I'm kidding... I'm kidding!)

How would you feel if a woman said "You can have my name, but I don't feel comfortable giving you my address"?

Will you walk from someone with cash in hand because he/she won't tell you where his/her kids sleep at night?

The current BoS I use (one I pulled off the internet) has a place for name, address, DL and GWL numbers. I see where people would want to draw the line at some of that info, like ID #'s. I am going to edit the one I use to ask for name, address and phone number and I'll look at an ID when we do the sale. If someone didn't want to write down their full address I would definitely want a city and state. Now that I know there is a lot of opposition to it I will post that a BoS is required when I list a WTS ad. If someone does not want to do a BoS they definitely have the right to pass on the gun I'm selling, but if they aren't comfortable with it they shouldn't wait until we meet up to tell me that.

Ilegible signature,fake phone # and erroneous address if you ask.Heck police can find you thru the site anyway.

The current BoS I use (one I pulled off the internet) has a place for name, address, DL and GWL numbers. I see where people would want to draw the line at some of that info, like ID #'s. I am going to edit the one I use to ask for name, address and phone number and I'll look at an ID when we do the sale. If someone didn't want to write down their full address I would definitely want a city and state. Now that I know there is a lot of opposition to it I will post that a BoS is required when I list a WTS ad. If someone does not want to do a BoS they definitely have the right to pass on the gun I'm selling, but if they aren't comfortable with it they shouldn't wait until we meet up to tell me that.
Just make sure to include that you will require a bos in you ad and you souls be good to go. I will say again though that it will mean nothing if you ever do need it, but it makes handy evidence against you if they wanted to charge you as an unlicensed ffl.

You have it right. It is your responsibility to fully disclose what requirements you have on the ad before the meet because you are asking for something beyond what the law requires. If you did not disclose this information first, a buyer would have the right to walk and leave negative feedback.

You have it right. It is your responsibility to fully disclose what requirements you have on the ad before the meet because you are asking for something beyond what the law requires. If you did not disclose this information first, a buyer would have the right to walk and leave negative feedback.

I didn't realize until reading the threads on here how many people were opposed to it, I'll make sure to list it in my ads to avoid any confusion for both parties.

Back
Top Bottom