• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bud Light apologizes for endorsing rape

The good ole USA has turned into the cry baby nation where easily offended by general phrases. I believe it falls back to the I can sue anyone for anything. Not the lawyers fault, (maybe partially) but dang, lighten up american our fore fathers would role over in their graves if they could see what we've become.
Let me help you with this:

The good ol' USA has turned into the cry-baby nation; where we are easily offended by general phrases. I believe it falls back to the; "I can sue anyone, for anything" belief. It's not the lawyer's fault, (maybe, partially), but dang, lighten up America. Our forefathers would roll over in their graves if they could see what we've become.

Whew... I'm glad I got that off my chest!

Never said you were

I was speaking generally

How is it immature? I sincerely dont see what their slogan has to do with rape
How old are you? It's not a demeaning question it's a serious one in that I'm sure different age people view it differently (in general! Some people never grow up and some are old farts from the get go). When I was in college (for example) an alcoholic beverage with a slogan that was touting it's ability to have people lose their inhibitions I'd have probably thought was "cool". Today, I think it's immature (and for a company that size even irresponsible).

OTOH- They are getting a ton of publicity and brand awareness out of this. Much more so than if they'd played it safe. A mealy-mouthed mea coupa is a small price to pay to recruit the easily offended/manipulated into giving you some free marketing. Do you think the actual Bud lite customer base is going to stop drinking it because they did a mildly dumb slogan?

How old are you? It's not a demeaning question it's a serious one in that I'm sure different age people view it differently (in general! Some people never grow up and some are old farts from the get go). When I was in college (for example) an alcoholic beverage with a slogan that was touting it's ability to have people lose their inhibitions I'd have probably thought was "cool". Today, I think it's immature (and for a company that size even irresponsible).
Immature means different things i guess to different folks.

To me,immature was bud folding asap to these idiots demands

And im above 25 and below 30

Let me help you with this:

The good ol' USA has turned into the cry-baby nation; where we are easily offended by general phrases. I believe it falls back to the; "I can sue anyone, for anything" belief. It's not the lawyer's fault, (maybe, partially), but dang, lighten up America. Our forefathers would roll over in their graves if they could see what we've become.

Whew... I'm glad I got that off my chest!
:doh:

Im not surprised at anything these days

I have accepted that stupid and offended is the norm for alot of americans
Feminazi's are going to look for reasons to be offended. Sane people are going to not step into a steaming pile when it's right in front of them and if they do they aren't going to act shocked when their shoe stinks.

Here's my take on this: I personally think that the outcry on this slogan is a bit too sensitive. IMO it's very clear that Budweiser has been promoting a fun, let's go party, have a good time, be spontaneous attitude with their campaign and linking that attitude with their beer. "Hey college kids, post college kids that still go out, general partiers, etc. come drink our beer. You'll be spontaneous and end up having the time of your life." Have y'all seen the commercial where the female bar tender asks the guy something like "if I give you a BudLight, will you be up for anything?". The guy says "yes" and ends up in a life-size Pacman game having a blast with his friends and a "night to remember". Yea it's corny, but that's the message they are portraying with their campaign. If people then take that and blame Budweiser for endorsing rape or any criminal behavior for that matter, I personally think that's a little bit of a stretch. It appears to me that it's the "lets complain about something crowd" acting up again. Let's face it, saying "OMG Budweiser is promoting rape" sounds a bit ridiculous considering the context. But we all see things through a different lens. Even the people in this thread that think it's a bit immature (including myself) probably aren't actively fighting against Budweiser (and no, posting your thoughts on ODT doesn't count as actively fighting against it).

With that said, I think that Budweiser was foolish for releasing this slogan as part of their marketing campaign knowing that the "let's complain about something" crowd would take it out of context and cry rape. But that's their prerogative. If they want to release that slogan, I personally think they have the right to. They will just face the consequences, which they are doing. Further, promoting a lack of inhibitions (because let's face it, MOST people will need to remove their inhibitions to reach the level of being spontaneous and being up for anything that Budweiser is promoting) can easily be interpreted as immature. I personally interpret it as such. But, again, being immature isn't, in and of itself, a crime. And that's an opinion at best being that the concept of immaturity is, by all means, relative.

IMO:

Public outcry = overreaction and ridiculous
Budweiser = foolish and immature.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom