• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

can i hold a gun buyback?

chucklenut

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
362   0
Reaction score
if i were to somehow get like 4000 dollars and do a gun buyback, just advertise in the local paper or something, is this legal?

i mean, i know the ATF would be all like wtf, but as long as im not reselling the guns i buy, is this legal to advertise and set up somewhere?

Seems to me that as long as you are operating as a private individual, not a licensed retailer, there is still no restriction on private firearms transfers. I think you might attract unwanted attention, especially if it were an ongoing practice or if you were then advertising the firearms for resale. Just my opinion, not the gospel. EDIT: Also, if you were to buy any stolen firearms or firearms that had been used in a crime, you could be subject to prosecution. One of the "benefits" of government sponsored buybacks is that they provide amnesty for people who turn in these guns.

Last edited:
Seems to me that as long as you are operating as a private individual, not a licensed retailer, there is still no restriction on private firearms transfers. I think you might attract unwanted attention, especially if it were an ongoing practice or if you were then advertising the firearms for resale. Just my opinion, not the gospel. EDIT: Also, if you were to buy any stolen firearms or firearms that had been used in a crime, you could be subject to prosecution. One of the "benefits" of government sponsored buybacks is that they provide amnesty for people who turn in these guns.

Hit the nail on the head

true, thats about what i was thinking

but if im not reselling the guns, its not like checks will be run on them lol

anyone wanna pool together money and buy a bunch of cheap firearms? (im kidding of course)

With all the excitement of just having purchased forty or fifty firearms you swerve ever so slightly over the double yellow line and get pulled over. You answer a question wrong and then the officer wants to secure them for his safety. It would take a long time for him to call in all those serial numbers unless you don't consent to any searches. That would make a sweet youtube video.

In a previous lifetime when I was both a LEO and a golfer, a friend of mine who ran a golf store traded a driver for a J frame S&W. When he showed it to me I admired it but told him he needed to be careful because he had no way of knowing if it was stolen. So he asked me if I would run the serial # for him just to be sure. I did and guess what? Yep, reported stolen out of ALASKA ten years earlier. I had no choice but to confiscate it and turn it in so it could be returned to the rightful owner. Lesson learned.

I think if you had local law enforcement willing to run the guns before purchase, then no problems for you to collect them. They really do not offer amnesty at the buy back programs. If gun was used in a murder, and I matched the suspect description-I am not offered amnesty for the murder. Everyday people who purchase a stolen guy from some guy, maybe even from GON or gun broker-never happens here ;)..the guns are taken to be returned, not to arrest the one with the gun. So the amnesty is really a nonissue, IMHO..

They don't grant amnesty for the crime. But I believe they do take the guns no questions asked. Which is the same as amnesty IMO. If the cops were sitting there running 29's on every gun they "bought back" as they came in, I feel many less people would participate.

In a previous lifetime when I was both a LEO and a golfer, a friend of mine who ran a golf store traded a driver for a J frame S&W. When he showed it to me I admired it but told him he needed to be careful because he had no way of knowing if it was stolen. So he asked me if I would run the serial # for him just to be sure. I did and guess what? Yep, reported stolen out of ALASKA ten years earlier. I had no choice but to confiscate it and turn it in so it could be returned to the rightful owner. Lesson learned.

Devastational. Did your buddy ever get his driver back or track down the guy that traded him the gun?

Back
Top Bottom