• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

can i hold a gun buyback?

In a previous lifetime when I was both a LEO and a golfer, a friend of mine who ran a golf store traded a driver for a J frame S&W. When he showed it to me I admired it but told him he needed to be careful because he had no way of knowing if it was stolen. So he asked me if I would run the serial # for him just to be sure. I did and guess what? Yep, reported stolen out of ALASKA ten years earlier. I had no choice but to confiscate it and turn it in so it could be returned to the rightful owner. Lesson learned.
Ya right, Most recovered guns ate destroyed or held and never returned. Just saying

Ya right, Most recovered guns ate destroyed or held and never returned. Just saying
Its true that many recovered guns are destroyed or sold at auction. And while many items that are entered into NCIC expire as the system is purged over time, firearms stay in the system forever or until they are recovered. When a gun is recovered that's been entered into NCIC, the recovering agency contacts the entering agency who must make a reasonable effort to contact the owner. I honestly don't know what the final disposition of that particular gun was. I do know however that the stolen S&W .40 we recovered on a drug search warrant was returned to the GA police officer who had it stolen out of his car 3 years earlier. That's just one of many specific cases that I was involved in where the owner and his gun(s) were eventually reunited. Do they all find their way home? No. But we definitely tried. Just saying. ;)

Back
Top Bottom