Cash

Always have some cash on me. Had a situation years ago at lunch, where we ordered and ate. Then we go to pay, but their credit card processing was down. We waited but still wouldn't work. I had enough cash to pay for our lunches so we could leave and go back to work. Neither of the other two younger guys from work had any cash. That's a good reason to have some cash.
:D

What was it a few months ago? If you did not have exact change at check out, some store would round up unless you used a card. If my tab came up to $37.04, I think I would hand the clerk $37 in bills and ask her to put the $.04 on my credit card. (Thank you very much!)

We mainly use our debit card for everyday stuff. We do a lot of Amazon shopping and use their card to pay for those purchases. I carry a discover card as an emergency get home card or for more spendy items. We paid for a lot of Christmas last year with the Amazon points and the double cash back on the discover (first year only). We also pay them off every month. When I was delivering pizzas I would bring home all the cash tip money and put in "the box". This was called box money and we used it for times we needed cash; like kids field trips, money for their spending on field trips, date nights, etc. I don't deliver anymore so there isn't much box money left.

What was it a few months ago? If you did not have exact change at check out, some store would round up unless you used a card. If my tab came up to $37.04, I think I would hand the clerk $37 in bills and ask her to put the $.04 on my credit card. (Thank you very much!)
Interesting thing about exact change and rounding up and down. When I was stationed in England with the USAF in the early 1970's, they decided it cost too much money to ship pennies overseas, so everything at the Base Exchange (BX) and Commissary etc the prices were exact to the penny if you wrote a check but if you were paying cash for the total transaction, if it was 2 cents or 7 cents then they would round down the total to the nearest nickel or dime. If it was 3 cents or 4 cents they rounded up to the next nickel or dime. Saved the government a ton of money (bags of pennies are heavy) by not shipping over cents and the rounding didn't hurt since it was just a few cents per transaction.

I carry a little cash for stuff where folks wont take a card. I also keep a bill in my wallet for other emergencies. I don't keep a lot or use much of it because its just easier and I like others get cash back for CC purchases I used to keep cash on hand for things on the weekend or for bargining but realized I normally just write a check, swipe a card or venmo. I still do for a gun or something or emergency. I remember my daddy telling me to always have a little folding money. When he said that CC/debit cards were not a popular deal.

Back
Top Bottom