• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

CC ideas?

thegiantmidget

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
113   0
Reaction score
I am looking at the FN Five Seven in 5.7X28. I love the idea of a high velocity, light weight round and a platform that carries many cartridges, but there are some glaring problems with the FN. Price, while not unaffordable, is steep. Also, it's somewhat large for CC. Are there any other options along those same lines I may be overlooking? I also like the idea of the 7.62X25, but to my knowledge nothing worth carrying has been made in that cambering for like 50 years. Already have a G19, so not looking for another 9MM. Thanks.

I thought about getting a 5.7 for carry a while back. The upfront cost of the pistol didn't bother me, but the cost of the ammo did.

If I did get one, I had planned on getting this for the carry ammo. This also addresses BTL Feds concern, this is Hp frangible ammo.
http://clarkcustomcartridge.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26

I love the idea of it, but honestly I have went from carrying 17+ round pistols to now just carrying a 5-shot J-frame 642 and love it. I feel super comfortable with it that I could handle any situation that might arise. I have kinda came full circle, on my carry choices. To each his own though.

I have played with them and honestly don't think they are that large in the hand or even in a carry situation. Also add in that they are pretty lightweight carrying it in a good holster again should not be a problem. I know one guy who does have a 5.7 as his carry piece, though the last police officer that pulled him over didn't appreciate him carrying it. Personally, I don't see an issue with it, other then ammo can be a bit difficult to find at times. That said, a good 9mm, should be just fine.

As far as 7.62X25 for a carry gun... great round but lack of proven self defense loads and the lack of pistols which I would want to carry makes the cartridge a no go in my mind, though with a good hollow point design for it and a better pistol that is available it would be one that would greatly interest me because of how flat shooting it is as well as how hard it hits.

I am hoping to nab a pistol more suited to distance shooting. My Glock starts to lose its luster past 30 yards. Most fights may well occur at 0-7 yards, wherein anybody is a decent shot. For a trained marksman, distance becomes advantageous. That's my thinking.

I am hoping to nab a pistol more suited to distance shooting. My Glock starts to lose its luster past 30 yards. Most fights may well occur at 0-7 yards, wherein anybody is a decent shot. For a trained marksman, distance becomes advantageous. That's my thinking.

Not going to get into the argument as to justification of engaging a target at distance in most defensive situations. As far as wanting to reach out farther I don't see you needing to get a different round, while Glocks aren't the most accurate out there (Though there are ways to generally improve on them, better sights and good ammo help matters quite a bit in my experience once you have the basics of markmanship down) ringing steel plates at extended distances isn't that hard once you figure out where it is hitting. A friend at a recent Red Back One class was ringing steel at 75 Meters with a 26 for example. I have no issue hitting a plate sized target at 100 meters on the berm with my Beretta 92SB. At one hundred meters with a 25Meter zero you are looking at about a 9 inch drop at 100 meters. Your best bet is likely to train more with what you have before spending a lot to get into a platform that is in a non-standard caliber, if you still think the 19 is not accurate enough a different 9mm pistol may be a better choice then a 5.7 or Tokerev.

Back
Top Bottom