• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

concealed carry and extra mag

You need to carry at least one magazine in case your primary mag in your gun craps out on you and malfunctions. Not necessarily for a long extended shootout. One is none, two is one, words to live or die by.

Been carrying daily for over 15 years and never have I ever needed an extra magazine, and only once have I ever pulled my firearm. I have extra magazines, I have pouches to carry magazines, and I used to carry extra magazines, but I just dont see the need to carry extra magazines. The daily shoot outs to protect you and your family just dont happen in real life, only on online forums. Not saying that having extras on you is a bad thing, just dont see the need for them on a day to day basis.

And before everyone starts posting a bunch of news stories where they are trying to show that shoot outs do happen, make sure its a story about an EXTENDED shoot out where multiple mag changes were needed, and it didnt involve LEO's, just a run of the mill guy protecting his family.

Again, it is not about an extended shoot out, it is about a magazine failure.

Last year I took my Springfield Champion Operator to the range to do a little shooting. I was using a Wilson 47D magazine that had been in the gun for a couple of months. First time I pulled the trigger, the lips gave way causing a double feed. When I dropped the mag, all my ammo shot out including the follower and the spring. Had that occurred when I needed the gun, a spare mag would have possibly meant the difference between life and death.

I would think a lawyer would have a field day with someone walking around with extra mags. and happen to have to use his/her gun.

That after-the-fact lawyer argument is getting pretty old. It doesnt take hand loads or extra mags or hollow points or an extended mag release or an action job to make you into an evil gun toting vigilante. look at Zimmerman, he had a PF9 I believe and was made out to be a dang one-man KKK sharpshooter hit squad.

I would think a lawyer would have a field day with someone walking around with extra mags. and happen to have to use his/her gun.
I don't care what a lawyer has a field day with. My cousin shot and killed a crack head who had already stabbed him repeatedly while working as an Leo in Tucson. Lawyers had a field day with him. It's a fact of life. Shoot someone, prepare for a lengthy and expensive legal battle no matter how in the right you are. If your not up to this, maybe you should rethink.carrying a gun.

Still dont see the need for extra mags. The magazine I carry, I trust completely. It has never failed. If I ever drop it, it will get replaced with one I trust completely. I do use and test the magazine, (along with several others) with the ammo I carry, not just FMJ's, and it functions fine. The chances are slim you will ever need to pull and use your gun, slimmer still that at the exact moment you do have to pull it, that the magazine fails. There is nothing wrong with being prepared and if you want to carry extra mags, by all means do it. For me, I feel comfortable carrying just the one in my gun, no back up needed.

Still dont see the need for extra mags. The magazine I carry, I trust completely. It has never failed. If I ever drop it, it will get replaced with one I trust completely. I do use and test the magazine, (along with several others) with the ammo I carry, not just FMJ's, and it functions fine. The chances are slim you will ever need to pull and use your gun, slimmer still that at the exact moment you do have to pull it, that the magazine fails. There is nothing wrong with being prepared and if you want to carry extra mags, by all means do it. For me, I feel comfortable carrying just the one in my gun, no back up needed.

No problem with that. I was just explaining why I do carry spares. I personally would rather have them and never need them.......

I carry two spares usually, at least one. Normally just in my front left pocket with nothing else in there. Do I ever anticipate on using them, God I hope not, but I feel better knowing they are there.

I know of guys who have carried for many years and never needed it and they still carry and they also still carry at least one spare mag because you never know.

If I "knew" I wouldn't bother to carry at all until I "knew" I was going to need it and then I would carry a long arm and spare ammo and a handgun with spare ammo. Since I can't KNOW I am prepared by carrying at least one firearm and at least one reload for that firearm and a knife or three. I feel even better when the wife or son is also carrying a similar firearm with spare ammo.

I carry 2 spare mags for whatever gun I carry. Whether my PM45 w/2 6 round mags, or my Glock 27 w/2 13 round mags. It's easy to carry them. I just slide two mags into an Unkle Mikes or Black Hawk pocket holster back to back, butt up and slide the holster in my back pocket opposite my wallet. Viola. Pretty much the same size, although a little heavier, than my wallet so it balances.

View attachment 104960

And to the guys who don't see the need for spares. Damn y'all are good! I'm impressed. Hope you don't take offense if I carry a couple of spares since maybe I'm not a pro like y'all.

Back
Top Bottom