• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

concealed carry and extra mag

And to the guys who don't see the need for spares. Damn y'all are good! I'm impressed. Hope you don't take offense if I carry a couple of spares since maybe I'm not a pro like y'all.

Has nothing to do with being a "pro". In my experience, I have found that extra mags are just not needed. Keep the mag in your daily carry clean and in good working order and you will have 0 problems. I am not in law enforcement so I dont run into bad guys daily, but if I do, I am 100% confident in the weapon/mag/ammo I carry.

I keep a spare close by most of the time, but I don't usually have a spare on me at the grocery store... this thread may change my mind- there's plenty of room in my pockets. Better to have an not need I suppose.

Famous last words.

Cant be "last words" cause I'm still here and dont think I will ever be famous. I find it really hard to believe that most folks are walking around with extras mags because they dont trust the mags in their carry piece. I am not against carrying extra mags if it makes you feel comfortable, but so far, over the years, I have learned, for me, its just extra items to carry and they are not needed. I realize I am in the minority on this subject, and I'm ok with that. I realize that lots of folks on here have wild visions of some shoot out where they have to pull their guns and have to have multiple mag changes to win the fight, and again, I am ok with that as well.

Outside of Military and LEO, I doubt even a handful of the guys on here will ever have to pull their weapon, let alone shoot it at some bad guy to save him and his family. Chances are, most will only ever pull their weapon to shoot at paper. If carrying the extra mags makes you all warm and fuzzy inside, then by all means carry the extra mags, because we all want to feel warm and fuzzy. Just realize that the chances of ever having to use those extra mags are extremely thin, especially if you keep the main mag in fine working order.

IF the zombie apocalypse ever happens, or if anything like Red Dawn ever happens, I will go back to carrying multiple mags on my person, until then, its a single, single stack mag for me, and not even a 8 rounder, just a lame old, GI styled 7 rounder, but guess what? Those 7 rounds make me feel all warm and fuzzy, so its all good.

Maybe if people would start carrying single stack 1911's and leave the plastic toy guns at home, they too would have confidence in the weapons they carry. :cool: (j/k glock fans, dont get mad, just learn to laugh)

The fact that I'm not a pro is exactly why I don't carry extra magazines. Statistically, most defensive confrontations take place at distances of 21 feet (7 yards) or less. If I should have a magazine failure at those distances, I suspect that I would be seriously wounded or slightly killed before I had time to change magazines and re-engage.

If you subscribe to the "better to have it and not need it philosophy", a back-up weapon would probably probably be a better choice than an extra magazine.

I keep my magazines in the same condition I keep my carry gun, many people may not tend to their mags but they should. Weapons failure is as likely a possibility has a mag failure. Do you address that contingency as well?

Precisely why I carry a back up gun at all times.

Back
Top Bottom