"Ding, dong, ditching teen shot by home-owner"

Last year some kids came to my front door and beat on the door hard enough to scare my wife. I was at work when it happened, she grabbed her 44 revolver and called 911. The deputies found the kids and told them to stop beating on doors. They should have taken them home and talked to thier parents at least.

My wife was frightened when it happened, we had many door bell rings and runaways but never a door pounding.

If the house has been burglarized in the past or the man was mugged and injured, he "might" be able to prove he was in fear his life.
Its a stretch but, if he shot through a door that's going to be hard to prove. It's also possible this kid has been harassing this guy for awhile.
How many people have a gun ready on the second knock?

Near to impossible to justify shooting through a door.
That would typically bury you in court.
We discuss regularly in class as what not to do ever.

If the house has been burglarized in the past or the man was mugged and injured, he "might" be able to prove he was in fear his life.
Its a stretch but, if he shot through a door that's going to be hard to prove. It's also possible this kid has been harassing this guy for awhile.
How many people have a gun ready on the second knock?

Not from behind a locked door.
Research the "Reasonable man doctrine"
Many jurisdictions have reduced it to what is "reasonable" but some still go by the former where 3 elements have to be present.... ability, opportunity, & jeopardy.

If you are behind a locked door then there is almost never to never justification to shoot through it.... per bith the courts eyes as well possibly violating the 4th safety rule of "knowing your target & what's behind it".

Very rare for that to be justified.

I had some punks do that to me once after dark.
Never seen them before and they asked if I wanted to buy magazines and I told them no and to get off my
Porch and exit the property and that's when they began talking sh8 at me.
I told them I'm calling the law and I'm getting my shotgun .... And they said go ahead.
They banged in the door again and kept talking crap even after I racked my shotgun..... Talk about brazenly stupid on the heir part.
I could have easily killed them and I felt like teaching them a lesson with a drum magged saiga 12 which did not seem to scare them a bit so I sent my wife and kids to the basement with 911 on the phone
And my daughter to call some of my neighbors on the good ok boy network and instructed them not to do anything but observe unless they needed to step in.
I did not see any guns on them as I looked at them through a one way mirrored glass on my door but dayam talk about brazen.
I weighed my Options and just stayed back in the shadows and waited for them to try to kick the door in.......Of course by the time the cops came. 45 min later the punks were gone and neighbors saw themesve up street in foot.
It may have been the same punks that tried to enter a home where this gorgeous illegal Hispanic girl was staying in a relatives basement.
For some reason she was able to get them to leave when they tried to get in the basement door.
They never called the cops because of the girl's illegal status but they told one of my female neighbors who told me .
A couple days later another Hispanic neighbor across the street went to the store and came home with her flat screen missing and door kicked wide open.
The neighbors gave ME dirty looks from that point on as if I did it.
Funny because I was head of the neighborhood watch....lol.
Okay stranger things have happened I guess.

Be interested to see how this turns out. Last time I checked it wasn't illegal to knock on someones door. Stupid, but not illegal. Shooter may end up in some trouble over this one.

Yep, but this story doesn't give all the details? Did he shoot him through through the door? Was the homeowner outside? Was the kid inside? If the homeowner is inside and the kid outside and the door was secured and just the door bell was rung, yeah that homeowners gonna face some penalties and rightfully so.

My brother travels out of town occasionally and my sister in law had some kids routinely ding ding ditch their home. Aggravating. One night my brother is home. The kid rings the door bell and takes off. My brother runs out the door only wearing a pair of shorts, no shoes no shirt. Chases the kid down and throws him onto a lawn. Poor kid had the day lights scared out of him, and was suddenly very apologetic and full of "yes sirs and no sirs" He won't be doing that any longer....

With todays technology he could set up a camera to capture the offenders. A lot of hassle an innocent person has to go through to catch a criminal. Would concealed bear traps be illegal on your property?

Back
Top Bottom