• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dog seizures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look to a clamshell airline crate. I'd get the largest one, one size or more up than what is normally indicated for a Lab. Check Marketplace, buy used, and sanitize with bleach spray.

A plus is that it would restrict wandering, and offers support during any episode, without risk of a snagged foot or nail.

We once had a Cocker Spaniel on Phenobarb, suffering seizures. Always in a clamshell while unsupervised. It served her well. She later passed at 15 y.o. during a dental cleaning from anesthesia.

one of my little dogs has them on occasion. One thing we did was change their diet and seemed to help lessen them and less often. We put him on a low calorie, low fat, grain free diet. Feed him metrics food. We never did any testing but one of the possibilities is from liver shunts (sp) and the dogs not able to process certain foods as well. We also mix low fat plain Greek yogurt with the food once a day. And give melatonin before bed. Again this is all based on reading and really not knowing the exact reason. We rescued him at 10 y/o and had no history on him. Hope this may help lessen them if you choose to try this

Also when he is having one we put him down on a ice pack to keep him cool

I have a 6 year old lab that has sporadic seizures, maybe one or two every 6 months or so, the last few weeks he’s had a couple, once they subside he’s normal like nothing happened. I’m worried about him being home alone when one happens now. Worried he may fall off the couch or down the stairs while I’m not here to watch him. My vet said the medicine isn’t going to stop them and just be worse on his body, I’ve tried cbd but nothing works. Any advice would be appreciated.
e035c953d677ef562db7d77843cda644.jpg

9f69c7227d0f6dda4d5cc5c239b37007.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have a cat that had seizures. Use to have em often but now hasn't had one in years knock on wood.

Maybe it will pass.

I can feel for him….i have been having seizures off and on for the past couple of years myself. They aren’t any fun .
I do hope the vet finds the right meds to help….so far they haven’t been able to stop mine, just slow them down.
My prayers in the air for your pup !

My dog died from a seizure last month. We were afraid the seizure medicine would be worse for her so we didn't get it. I'll always hate myself for that

Don’t man… my English bully started having random seizures… then they started happening daily.

Vet put her on some **** that made her so intoxicated that it was just terrible to see. I decided that wasn’t the way and we pulled her off the meds. She passed shortly after.

Pets are family and it hurts when they pass. I am glad I got to have her around for the time we had together. She was the best dog I’ve ever had.

7AEE39C9-6C8B-4E90-88C8-F40FB7D16384.jpeg

I may have missed over someone else's comment. But what dog food are you feeding him. We used to feed our dogs Pedigree, because it was a big bag and cheap. However, we realized over time that our dogs started having Seizures. I started doing some research and saw that a lot of other people's dogs were also having seizures on pedigree. We switched dog foot to a more expensive bag (Diamond Naturals 30lb $47) and neither dog has had a seizure since. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom