• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

drew my sidearm, lesson learned

I would love having reasonable conversations. Look back at this thread. I posted an opinion. All I've been doing since then is defending my opinion. There have been a hell of a lot more snide remarks made towards me than I have made and I have never initiated that type of conversation with any poster in this thread. If I get respectful responses, that's what I give. Look at my interaction with Protective Measures. We completely disagree on this subject and nether of us have taken a cheap shot at the other.

Well honestly the sheer number of snide comments is proportional to how wrong you are.

I wish I had time to read 18 pages.
I don't.
Generally, I don't think you can fire a "warning shot" unless you already have the legal green light to USE deadly force.
But you can choose the warning shot out of mercy for the other guy, and this puts you at greater risk but gives him one last chance to save his own life.

Now here, from what I read in Post #1 page 1, the armed citizen runs outside with a gun to stop a man from slapping a woman around during a domestic violence incident.
Where's the violent felony crime against the woman? Assault and battery are misdemeanor crimes.

Then the woman-beater turns to the OP and comes after him for sticking his nose into their business.
An unarmed man comes after you, apparently intent on beating you up.
Can you shoot the unarmed man? No. Generally NOT. Because a single unarmed opponent who wants to punch you is NOT a deadly threat. It's not a forcible felony against you. (If you're defending your habitation, that's different).
The law (jury instructions, read by the judge to jurors before they deliberate) says that defense of self or others must be reasonable in light of the circumstances, and not an over-reaction. You can't use way too much force, with too much disparity of force.

So if you can't legally shoot him, can you legally shoot in his direction and make him think he's about to get shot?
Or is that aggravated assault with a firearm?
I think the OP is fortunate to only be charged with a misdemeanor local ordinance violation.

I agree & disagree but would like to discuss this sometime to explain the context in detail.
Ayoob is who fist opened my eyes to what I was referring to.
We are way overdue to sit down & chat anyway.:)

Tell you what. Come with me to the range and well set up a cardboard barrier around where I fire a live round into the ground. I'll even shoot into whatever surface you want and there will be no ricochet. Bring your video camera and we can share the results with the ODT.

There's never rocks in the ground that you can't see? There's never random metal garbage in the ground that you can't see? Debris and shrapnel can't shoot up and injure someone?

How can you NOT see why shooting into the ground near people is a terrible idea?

There's never rocks in the ground that you can't see? There's never random metal garbage in the ground that you can't see? Debris and shrapnel can't shoot up and injure someone?

How can you NOT see why shooting into the ground near people is a terrible idea?
He's been teaching it that way for 30 years, so it can't be wrong. Jeez, didn't you read the thread before you posted a response?

In front of the shooter...coming from you. That is the definition of in the direction of another human. Should I draw a picture you make it easier to understand?

YOU (pew pew)-------------------> into ground ( :scared:ZOMG! He just shot right at me! )

:mod::mod::mod::mod::mod::mod::mod::mod: Clink clink......Another Bear goes to jail for shooting at someone.
And your alternative is to purposely shoot the guy? Yeah, that's much better.

No, as I have already said, the round I keep in the chamber is designed to disintegrate rather than ricochet.
Let me see if I have this right. You are right and everyone else is wrong because you:
1) Have exceptional skils.
2) Have been teaching it that way for 30 years
3) Have ammo that disintegrates chambered for the warning shot?

Honestly, that disintegrating ammo comment makes my sarcastic "blanks in the chamber" comment not look like such a bad idea...

And your alternative is to purposely shoot the guy? Yeah, that's much better.
YES!

If there is indeed another person that is truly a threat and is approaching me and I fear for my life, I would rather shoot the threat and stop it instead of playing cowboy and plinking rocks on the ground while the threat continues toward me.

Back
Top Bottom