• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

drew my sidearm, lesson learned

There is always the chance the guy may not have a knife. In a courtroom a one on one confrontation between two men is hardly ever looked at as a deadly threat. True, the situation in Ferguson or Zimmerman was stopping a lethal threat, but in most cases you will be tried and likely prosecuted for manslaughter, at the very least, if the guy you shoot is unarmed. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't...You must be certain at all costs, at least in the eyes of the court. I don't disagree with your reasons or resolve, but the court probably will. If I am alone I will use more discretion. If my son or family are in harm's way I'll take my chances.

Agreed. Without obvious disparity of force it would be very difficult to justify.
Ayoob (as for example the M. Brown case) demonstrated that if there is any gun present that the very act of someone attempting to take it can be considered a lethal threat.

Holy **** you really enjoy arguing just for the sport of it. I truly hope you don't believe 75% of the garbage you say on here. It must be some sort of social experiment where every time you log in you find a new thread to chime in and be argumentative even when you are dead wrong just for the sake of it.

Say it ain't so.
He'd wear out a good fence post in a couple of days.

Once again, who said anything about firing a round in anyone's direction? It goes in the ground about two to three feet in front of the shooter.

And if that ground is paved or concrete & the ricochet leaving at 10 to 15 degrees rises to the same level as a babyseat in a S.U.V. driving by & injures a child fatally?

Bear44 Bear44 , I have not meant to be disrespectful in any way if you have felt that I have been. I believe discussions are very important and necessary to be had. After all this is all in response to the dialog of me answering a question you had posted. That being said, the scenario I was in, a warning shot could have/would have been extremely dangerous. I was standing on a paved parking lot (not grass) of a very crowded hotel, beside a 6 lane (full) highway, with a crowded outlet mall in the backdrop. Any shot would have been a last resort if I was unsuccessful in getting him to stop, thus it would have been center mass. I hope I NEVER have to use lethal force EVER, but in the scenario that I was in fear for my life or severe bodily harm to myself or that of a third party, had he continued to ignore my warnings, I feel lethal force would've been unfortunate but justified. A weapon doesn't have to be present to articulate fear of one's life. In this case a weapon was present, mine, Had I engaged him and he gained the upper hand, he would've been armed.

Back
Top Bottom