• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Finally had my AD

What I was referring to was having a pistol laying on the nightstand secured in a holster and trying to get it out in the middle of the night in the dark and half asleep all while trying to figure out what/where the threat is.
There is a better way see post #85 page 9

I agree. But your argument you made about flagging your hand was flawed and needed to be addressed. Your holster attached to a nightstand is most definitely a better all-around solution.

The initial debate was no holster vs holster. In which holster is logically irrefutable.

I believe we are in overall agreement but differed on details. 👍

I just don't worry about waking up in the middle of the night with some attacker right on top of me. Dogs ain't gonna allow for that. There's plenty of time to grab my holstered pistol, my edc, the same exact gun I carry every day and am most familiar with, and go check it out.

Unholstered cocked and locked night stand guns are an accidental waiting to happen. The odds of me setting one off while looking for my phone or something in the middle of the night are infinitely higher than the odds I'll need that gun two seconds sooner than the time it takes to unholster it.

Plus the 12GA with light attached is my go too in the middle of the night anyways.

Dogs ain't gonna allow for that.
This EXACTLY for one...ain't no way in hell anyone's getting near the bedroom without one hell of a loud hurting first.
I just don't worry about waking up in the middle of the night with some attacker right on top of me. Dogs ain't gonna allow for that. There's plenty of time to grab my holstered pistol, my edc, the same exact gun I carry every day and am most familiar with, and go check it out.

Unholstered cocked and locked night stand guns are an accidental waiting to happen. The odds of me setting one off while looking for my phone or something in the middle of the night are infinitely higher than the odds I'll need that gun two seconds sooner than the time it takes to unholster it.

Plus the 12GA with light attached is my go too in the middle of the night anyways.
Also only takes 2 seconds to rack a slide, so unholstered, unchambered in a drawer also works. 12 GA is always ready to go.

Three quick comments and a question:

QUESTION: So, tell us more about how you treated these wounds to your legs, to try to stop the bleeding.

Did you have any type of tape or elastic bandage to help hold pressure on them? Did you have a first aid kit handy or did you just make do with some rags or towels or washcloths that were easier to grab?

Did your wife help you with bandaging?

Looking back, is there anything that you could've done a week or a month ago to make yourself and or your home better prepared to deal with a sudden bleeding emergency like this?
all I did was slosh into the porch in bloody shoes and grabbed a towel that was there and put pressure on all 4 holes, kept pressure for the 15 mins or so (hard to tell time in that situation but up here in the moutains (ellijay) you have to expect slower response times). When EMT arrived they took over. No, wife called 911 then had to go upstairs to direct them when they arrived. I do have a full complete EMT bag, even with some surgical stuff in it.. At one of the charity flea markets I ran for an animal shelter a few years ago one came in and I bought it.

so, could a PMR30 stop a bear?
well who knows, my intent in carrying the PMR is that if I needed to scare a bear off, 30 rounds of .22 MRF out of that gun makes A LOT OF NOISE and a lot of FLASH, But if I needed to shoot him still that is 30 rounds!! I have never had a bear problem, some of them I have to almost push away they get so close. But when you live with them you can read their movements, but I still try to respect the distance. This is a good example: I call him Frack (he used to come around with his brother Frick but no longer). Frack ripped 1/2 of the roof you see off of my bird feeding structure shortly after this pic was taken. Here I am trying to discipline him....it did not work. Ironically where I am standing is the exact spot where the AD happened. the two hanging bird feeders (converted chicken feeders) is what caused it, one of those wooden dowels caught the trigger when I picked it up off of the ground.
1688031826760-jpeg.5891265

I hope you don't get inundated with condescending remarks from all the "pros" on this site.

What's done is done. Anybody chiming in with their 2 cents as to what you should or shouldn't have done is irrelevant. They ain't gonna say anything that you haven't already said to yourself over and over by now, I'm sure.

I appreciate you being willing to share this experience and give us all a reminder to never be complacent when handling firearms. No matter how long it's been a part of our life. I've yet to have an AD and/or ND (I don't care what you prefer to call it) but again, thank you for reminding us how quickly things can go wrong.

Glad it wasn't more serious and that you are on mend.
Yea I mentioned mine on Glock Talk a Decade ago & my feelings are still hurt . :frown: 'LOL'

Glad the OP is gonna live.

Glad yer alright bud. I've had 4.....all drunk.
My 1st was when I was Drunk (likely a 2.5-3.0) on a breathalyzer. Typical "It not loaded" then Boom a .38 SP Right through the ceiling & through the roof , I actually found the bullet years later with my metal detector in my front yard.

P.S I've not drank in 20 + years ; Thank God .

This EXACTLY for one...ain't no way in hell anyone's getting near the bedroom without one hell of a loud hurting first.

Also only takes 2 seconds to rack a slide, so unholstered, unchambered in a drawer also works. 12 GA is always ready to go.
That slide rack is gonna be awful loud in a quiet house.
Think I’d rather have surprise on my side, with my condition 1 1911.

Back
Top Bottom