• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Finally had my AD

My AD was in 92 in an upstairs apartment in south Macon with an old FI 380 sort of mini 1911. Thankfully all it did was make a hole in the bottom of a Sony floor speaker cabinet. I wasn't even drinking so I really had no excuse.

Three quick comments and a question:

1-- Thanks for posting your story so we may learn from it.

I myself will be extra cautious if I ever try to use the same hand I'm holding a gun with for any other purpose, to lift or even stabilize something.

2-- Some 20 years ago I decided that single action automatic handguns were not the best choice for me for self-defense. I went with "double action only" guns or "safe action" striker fired guns like the Glock --and I prefer them to have at least a 5.5 pound trigger pull, standard length of travel.

3-- I've had AD's, and once shot my bed! Twice I shot the ground a few feet in front of the firing line at the shooting range when I did not expect the gun to fire and I thought I was just going to hear a "click." One of those times a fellow shooter in our group had already stepped forward of the firing line so he was somewhat in front of the muzzle, maybe 30 degrees to one side of the line of the barrel.

QUESTION: So, tell us more about how you treated these wounds to your legs, to try to stop the bleeding.

Did you have any type of tape or elastic bandage to help hold pressure on them? Did you have a first aid kit handy or did you just make do with some rags or towels or washcloths that were easier to grab?

Did your wife help you with bandaging?

Looking back, is there anything that you could've done a week or a month ago to make yourself and or your home better prepared to deal with a sudden bleeding emergency like this?

D8627E04-4618-4F75-8495-CB962213D934.jpeg

Obligatory witty remark: Just think, if you were carrying a 9mm, you would have blown your lung clean out!!

Serious comment: Thanks for posting, it offers a wake-up call and reality check. I'd say go buy a lottery ticket but I think you used up your luck for the year.

Just glad you’ll be fine.. I see now the KNOW IT ALLS HAVE SHOWED UP WITH THEIR SMARTASS KNOW IT ALL COMMENTS

You think we are giving our fellow human gun owner a hard time??

Just think of what the Bears are saying about him, cracking jokes at his expense, back in their dens right now!

19407F3C-5013-4993-96C6-B0CD6E74BD87.jpeg

It's a useful reminder that not all cops are experienced enough that you can assume they're safe on the range.

I used to RO at a club and the biggest offenders when it came to shooting divots out of the concrete floor were the cops when they rented the range for qualification every year. They were no slouches when it came to shooting the target frames and ducting either.
This guy is ex swat and shoots this class every Saturday. He’s also an instructor. It can happen to anyone.

Reactions: GFB
If you hold the holster with one hand during the act of pulling the gun out with the other hand , the gun is pointed directly at the hand holding the holster…..get it ? An accident waiting to happen especially in the dark and I know someone it happened to……no not me

By that logic you're going to shoot the ground or yourself in the hip, buttocks, leg, or wiener when unholstering from your beltline.

The risk of having an unprotected trigger guard as opposed to flagging something while unholstering is not even up for debate at this point.

I've seen so many ADs, NDs and just Ds all around. The OPs story is just one in a million. It should be a lesson for everyone reading it.

cali201 , I'm glad you're able to post about it. It could have been much worse.

By that logic you're going to shoot the ground or yourself in the hip, buttocks, leg, or wiener when unholstering from your beltline.

The risk of having an unprotected trigger guard as opposed to flagging something while unholstering is not even up for debate at this point.
What I was referring to was having a pistol laying on the nightstand secured in a holster and trying to get it out in the middle of the night in the dark and half asleep all while trying to figure out what/where the threat is.
There is a better way see post #85 page 9

Back
Top Bottom