• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Garden Reports AND Learned Anything New?

Someone PM me that knows how To Grow peach trees in north Georgia.

Some of my neighbors have them so I know they grow here.
Neighbors are weird though so I won't ask them....lol.

My sweet peppers are doing well this year.
I have about 50 Bucket plants producing heavily now.

They do better outside the greenhouse in the fresh air with rain water.

I tried my luck with onions and did not do well but peppers seem to be my forte.
I still have a freezer full of super hots from last year.

I learned not to plant any southern peas in the spring in GA. I planted mine a couple of weeks ago and expect to have beautiful pink eye purple hull peas without a bunch of bugs or stings. I have 4 double 100ft rows.

Learned a few years ago to plant tobacco in my garden. Bugs seem to prefer it over other stuff in the garden. I don't spray anything at all. I do have some bugs, but they seem to mostly be on the tobacco.

Learned a 100ft row of potatoes is too much

Learned to plant enough of anything that you want so that you can do all of your canning at once. I planted about 40 tomato plants which lets us pick about 6 buckets at once to can. I was able to share a bunch with other folks too.

I planted 2 varieties of Okra this year. Planted Clemson Spineless and Cowhorn. Won't ever plant clemson spineless again. It's fine, but the cowhorn produces much more per plant and stays tender way better.

I think next year I will still plant 35ish tomatoes early in the spring and then one or two every couple of weeks after that for fresh tomatoes all year.

I planted a 100ft row of sweet corn. It was delicious , but only lasted a couple of weeks. Since we preserve by freezing, I'm thinking planting a 50ft row twice about 4 weeks apart will be better.

I learned that I need to give gourds WAY more space next year. May have a separate garden spot for them and watermellons to spread out.

I also am lazy. Rather than keeping a beautiful garden, I grow more of each thing. Yep, I have weeds, but I still have way more than we can eat.

Deer were a huge summer pest at my last house. They walk through the garden at my new house, but I can't see that they've damaged anything. Deer weren't a problem in the winter at my old house, but they wiped out all of my fall garden last year in about 3 days here. I have an electric fence up and am almost ready to plant for the fall.

Bonus points to anyone who can identify this fruit from my orchard. Had it last night. Tastes like mango. Flesh is the consistency of soft ice-cream.
IMG_20170813_212156.jpg

Still no guesses?
Give you a clue. They are native to GA, but grow all over the Midwest, all the way to Minnesota.

YES!!!!
This one is a hybrid and tastes sort like mango, my other hybrid tastes like vanilla custard, and non-hybrid is sorta like banana.

I ordered mine from Stark Brothers. Go ahead and pay for a large potted plant. Paw-paws have very tender roots and bare-root plants do not survive (I had lost 2 bare roots)
They handle heat and cold really well. Have a funny smell, almost like a persimmon.

Back
Top Bottom