• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glass gurus I need optics advice

Gunanddoglover

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Dog Father
315   0
Reaction score
Gwinnett, trailer park of the Milky Way Galaxy
I need a scope for a Bergara HMR 308. I would like one that would be equally good for distance, 1k yds, and hunting. Which is better MILs or MOA? I have watched some YouTube videos and now I'm really confused. I am a medium poor with a budget of 1k for scope, rings, and mount.
Thanks for the help.

Arken EP line of scopes are cheap, good, and will do what you want. Get one with the accessory kit, and use the $170 off code (or the 25% off they had last week, if it's still on). Don't accidentally buy one that takes 34mm rings unless you understand the consequences. : ) (Big, heavy, and need special rings... but huge vertical range of adjustment) You'll be in business for less than $600.

There are some pretty good scopes now in the $400-$600 range. This was not the case ten years ago. Others will probably pipe up with some other similar options. I paid $530 for an SH4 and am satisfied... now the much better EP scopes are less than I paid (better glass, less chromatic aberration). Mine's on a .308 I use out to 1000. The scope works fine for that, and the adjustments are repeatable and reliable.

I'd go MOA, since you're probably more used to .25" at 100 yards than you are .36" at 100 yards for the adjustments. My advice: Pick one system (MOA or MIL) and buy all your scopes with that one, or it'll drive you nuts. In any case, never buy a scope that has a MIL reticle say, and MOA knobs. They exist. Don't buy one of those.

The Arken scopes are not Nightforce, but they are 1/4 the price (or less). And they're still pretty dang good.

The scope that is equally good for hunting and 1000 yd precision shooting really does not exist lol. At least imho.

A good hunting scope will be lightweight, won’t have exposed turrets to hang on the brush and will be high enough quality glass to work at dusk and dawn - the primo hunting hours.

A good 1000 yd target scope will have have exposed reticles to dial for distance, it will probably be sorta heavy and might have a “busy” reticle with lots of holdover and windage markers.

Im like you however and I try to buy guns and optics that will do both, reasonably well.

For your BERGARA I would be looking at a used LEOPOLD VX-5HD 3-18x42, a Meopta in that range or a Vortex Viper maybe?
And unless you are former military then stick with MOA.

This thread will overload you lol…

This is my recommendation in what to look for in a quality scope.

1. Holds zero from heavy abuse
2. Turrets dial accurately and repeatably through the range of adjustment
3. Weather proof
4. Quality loud, tactile turrets
5. Quality glass

After that it’s about what features you want like tube size, reticle design, FFP or SFP, objective size, magnification range…etc.
I like bushnell elite tactical series. The DMR and XRS. You can find a used DMRII for $800. I think I own 7 or 8 now…no lie.

There’s also SWFA. Their 5-20 HD is on sale now for under $700. Excellent scope, just kind of bleh features. Nice glass, great turrets, super tough, reticle is ok. It’s just a boring scope.

If you aren’t sure and want to dip your toes in the water before you get serious Arken is a great starter scope. My bro used a 4-16 at mammoth and it held up great.

I’m going to get flamed like I always do but you really start appreciating scope quality once you get into the $1000+ realm.

Oh also, Mil / FFP. I moved all my scopes over to them. Use them for hunting too. No issues.

I like SWFA too. And all of their stuff (actually, everything they sell, all brands) are on sale this weekend.

As an aside, I managed to get by the SWFA store, figuring they must have hundreds of scopes on display. They don't. They're a mail order outfit, though they'll go get whatever you want to look at from the warehouse. I was really disappointed. : (

: Pick one system (MOA or MIL) and buy all your scopes with that one, or it'll drive you nuts. In any case, never buy a scope that has a MIL reticle say, and MOA knobs. They exist. Don't buy one of those.
Two good pieces of advice right here.

I think in MILs, so thats what a buy, but that's me.

I need a scope for a Bergara HMR 308. I would like one that would be equally good for distance, 1k yds, and hunting. Which is better MILs or MOA? I have watched some YouTube videos and now I'm really confused. I am a medium poor with a budget of 1k for scope, rings, and mount.
Thanks for the help.
I use an 8 x 34 x 56 Athlon Argus and can't find anything wrong with it for the money. I like the magnification for my old eyes.

Back
Top Bottom