• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gwinnett Show 10/27 & 10/28

I’ve been going to Gunshows since the early 70’s. Back then the Georgia Arms Collectors show were mainly just that. Collectors who bought, sold and traded to further there hobby/collection. There were very few dealers . The tables were $20 IIRC. There were about 2 shows a year in Atlanta, maybe 1 in Gwinnett, Macon, Columbus, Augusta and Savanah. A few later in smaller towns in north and middle Georgia. I attended as a walk around and had tables off and on until middle 80’s. Then life happened, work, competitive shooting, other stuff in the way as a participate , but still went as a walkaround. Until I retired a couple years ago. Now i’m back to participating as a collector, buyer, trader and seller. The RK show at Lawrenceville is easy and close to my home. I have had tables for most of the shows in the last 2 years. The promoters and staff are nice to me. Most of the tables that have firearms are dealers. I am not there to compete with them. I try to bring the same kind of stuff I did over 40 years ago. I usually bring about 6 to 8 Foreign and USGI rifles, shotguns, and nice used pistols. I also bring stocks, bayonets, helmets, holsters, ammo belts , magazines etc. A mix of stuff I want to sell or trade, and stuff to interest people who want to talk about and examine these items. It don’t kill me if you don’t buy anything, it’s a hobby. It does cost me $80 a table. So I at least like to sell something to get that back. Some shows I sell most everything I bring. My stuff is not junk. This last show that was so terrible, was a very good show for me and the guy next to me . We have had the same tables for last 2 years. I can understand that empty tables is a loss for the promoter. They have to make a profit cause it’s a business. If they don’t make money the show will go away. If you do not wish to come that’s your business. But don’t tell people not to come. That’s like me jumping a ODT for sale post advising people not to buy the item. I’m not a fan of furniture, gutters, soap etc but if keeps the shows open, I will ignore it. Maybe some of you should get together and put together a table or 3 and support the show with relevant items for sale.

The first time I went to a show was in the late 1970s. One show and I was hooked. It was in Knoxville, Tennessee. I just stumbled onto it while going to Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge one week-end. There were people just outside the building and virtually all of them had something to sell or trade.

Back in those days people brought in firearms to sell and trade. Individuals would chip in and two or three guys would have one table with some of their personal stuff on the tables. You saw everything from Clayton Moore's (the Lone Ranger) stuff on display to the most modern weaponry on the market. A few dealers were there, but there was a good representation of private individuals with all kinds of stuff: bring back souvenirs, parts, DIY projects, books (new and used) and, as time progressed, DVDs, CDs, and even collections from collectors that passed on. You even saw political candidates, political parties, and organizations with tables.

There was a lot of business going on and great deals galore. Gun owners used the gun shows to socialize, talk politics and come together in much the same way that liberals use the black churches as social outlets and disseminating information.

Today, the gun shows are a multi- million dollar business and there are no real gun shows. Some of these shows cost $15 a person to get in and you say it's $80 a table. A 250 table show that gets 2000 attendees over the course of a weekend is 50 grand for the promoters not counting the concession stand and any tables that they own themselves that rake in a profit. It doesn't leave much for cutting good deals when the promoters are raking us over the coals. BTW, many attendees are retired (that's code for on a fixed income.) By the time they get to the show, pay for their gas, a ticket to get in, and cup of coffee and a snack, they've spent the better part of a month's disposable income. Whatever they buy, if they buy, has to be pretty cheap.

Then, you have a younger generation that lives on the Internet and places no value on things like privacy, anonymity, close personal relationships, and the opportunity to hobnob with people that think like you and have a lot of the same basic values. With them, it all comes down the cost of the product, not the fact that, in person, you get to see what you're buying, evaluate it, compare it to other products and maybe even trade into it. There is the peace of mind knowing if you buy certain products for cash that the entire Internet world is not plugged in, scrutinizing your every purchase. That may come in handy if you ever contemplate that one day the SHTF may happen and those who know what you have come a knocking or just busting your door down to take it.

To the younger generation, I say quityerbellyaching, bring something to sell or trade. Stop by and get to know people. I was at a Gwinnett show a few months ago. Brad Raffensberger shows up and even has a name tag on. He was being ignored! My wife and I stopped him and we spent 45 minutes talking politics, learning about the son he lost only weeks earlier, and the things we had in common. I made a friend that day, regardless of the prices. BTW, I've run into professional wrestlers, singers, actors, politicians, former ball players, and world class shooters that those of you stuck to a computer screen wouldn't recognize in real life.

To the promoters, they should cut their prices and encourage more individuals to come and bring all that stuff in from their basement. Tables should be more in the $50 range and entry should be no more than $12 with a senior discount so they can keep the activity alive. If the promoters can get 1000 tables and at least 5000 attendees, the shows might command the price of admittance. There are few places left where pro-gun people are actually welcome. The younger generation need to take that into consideration. The experience and friends you could be exposed to in one day would be more fulfilling than 100 hours on the Internet arguing with idiots and being fed cow dung by anonymous mind control wannabes.

Hmm..... let's form a gun show regulatory agency and without any knowledge of venue contracts, setup and management costs, security, labor, advertising and promotion costs, regulate what the pirates charge for table rent and admission pricing. Some of their massive profits they rake in should also be redistributed to people who by virtue of nothing other than reaching a certain age in life, be rewarded. Sounds like a great plan. I'll be the first regulatory commissioner and contact Raymond at Eastman's Shows to let him know what's about to happen.

The first time I went to a show was in the late 1970s. One show and I was hooked. It was in Knoxville, Tennessee. I just stumbled onto it while going to Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge one week-end. There were people just outside the building and virtually all of them had something to sell or trade.

Back in those days people brought in firearms to sell and trade. Individuals would chip in and two or three guys would have one table with some of their personal stuff on the tables. You saw everything from Clayton Moore's (the Lone Ranger) stuff on display to the most modern weaponry on the market. A few dealers were there, but there was a good representation of private individuals with all kinds of stuff: bring back souvenirs, parts, DIY projects, books (new and used) and, as time progressed, DVDs, CDs, and even collections from collectors that passed on. You even saw political candidates, political parties, and organizations with tables.

There was a lot of business going on and great deals galore. Gun owners used the gun shows to socialize, talk politics and come together in much the same way that liberals use the black churches as social outlets and disseminating information.

Today, the gun shows are a multi- million dollar business and there are no real gun shows. Some of these shows cost $15 a person to get in and you say it's $80 a table. A 250 table show that gets 2000 attendees over the course of a weekend is 50 grand for the promoters not counting the concession stand and any tables that they own themselves that rake in a profit. It doesn't leave much for cutting good deals when the promoters are raking us over the coals. BTW, many attendees are retired (that's code for on a fixed income.) By the time they get to the show, pay for their gas, a ticket to get in, and cup of coffee and a snack, they've spent the better part of a month's disposable income. Whatever they buy, if they buy, has to be pretty cheap.

Then, you have a younger generation that lives on the Internet and places no value on things like privacy, anonymity, close personal relationships, and the opportunity to hobnob with people that think like you and have a lot of the same basic values. With them, it all comes down the cost of the product, not the fact that, in person, you get to see what you're buying, evaluate it, compare it to other products and maybe even trade into it. There is the peace of mind knowing if you buy certain products for cash that the entire Internet world is not plugged in, scrutinizing your every purchase. That may come in handy if you ever contemplate that one day the SHTF may happen and those who know what you have come a knocking or just busting your door down to take it.

To the younger generation, I say quityerbellyaching, bring something to sell or trade. Stop by and get to know people. I was at a Gwinnett show a few months ago. Brad Raffensberger shows up and even has a name tag on. He was being ignored! My wife and I stopped him and we spent 45 minutes talking politics, learning about the son he lost only weeks earlier, and the things we had in common. I made a friend that day, regardless of the prices. BTW, I've run into professional wrestlers, singers, actors, politicians, former ball players, and world class shooters that those of you stuck to a computer screen wouldn't recognize in real life.

To the promoters, they should cut their prices and encourage more individuals to come and bring all that stuff in from their basement. Tables should be more in the $50 range and entry should be no more than $12 with a senior discount so they can keep the activity alive. If the promoters can get 1000 tables and at least 5000 attendees, the shows might command the price of admittance. There are few places left where pro-gun people are actually welcome. The younger generation need to take that into consideration. The experience and friends you could be exposed to in one day would be more fulfilling than 100 hours on the Internet arguing with idiots and being fed cow dung by anonymous mind control wannabes.

Cliff notes:

Gun shows were great in the "good old days".

Gun Shows were ruined by "The Man", capitalism, etc.

Young people are antisocial, they suck, and so does their fancy inter web technology.

We need more wrestlers and politicians at gun shows.

Promoters should slash prices, profit and making a living be damned.

Cliff notes:

Young people are antisocial, they suck, and so does their fancy inter web technology.

I can explain this subject for you. I cannot understand it for you. I can't fix stupid.

Cliff notes:

1) Gun shows were great in the good old days. There weren't a bunch of trolls to dissuade people from having a good time and we tried to be sociable toward one another - a skill set you are obviously lacking in

2) Gun shows were ruined by profiteers that would discourage individuals from setting up; shows like the shows the late Matt Eastman put on where prices for firearms was regulated; shows that were ruined by people, much like yourself that hide behind their keyboard - angry with yourself for what you let your country become and afraid to interact where you might have to make those smart azz comments to a person's face

3) You've certainly proven to be anti-social and if you don't like gun shows, don't go to them. Don't pretend to be a connoisseur of something you don't understand

4) We need more attendees at gun shows that want to interact with their fellow man. We need fewer smart alecks looking for a whizzing contest on the Internet when they and everybody else realize that if they talked trash to the wrong old phart, he might put a belt across your backside as your mother watches (and approves)

5) Gun show promoters should be entitled to the feedback from those of us that go so that they understand fully why shows are dying. Feedback from attendees allows them to adjust pricing and reacquaint people to the idea that coming to a gun show can be fun.

You can try to insult me all day long. It's one reason you don't see people like you at a gun show. The Internet allows you to be anonymous so that you can make irresponsible and silly posts that alienate your fellow man. Heaven forbid that your generation would ever have to interact with people, one on one and act as childish as you are doing. And, if you are older than thirty, you are acting like a ten year old. If you can't read, I do remedial classes from time to time - free for you if you are over thirty and acting the way you are.

At the end of the day, and the end of the argument. Gunshows have simply lost their appeal to some, and some still enjoy them. The End.

I agree, but if those who set up at shows (as the individual I began responding to) are aware of why I'm not there or someone like me isn't still going, they have some feedback from threads like this.

Back
Top Bottom