• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SNOWMAGGEDON - It’s Been 10 Years! WOW!

Nice stories. Remember we also had an ice storm @ 1982. And the blizzard of 93. We had 4' snow drifts. The first half of my life was all 2 wheel drive. Rear and front wheel. The last half, half my vehicles are 4x4.

I'm originally from out west....I would have found a way. Hell, we used to drive in a blizzard just to get to an empty lot to do proper doughnuts and drift.

I used to drive to work in snowstorms in my rear wheel drive fox body.

But I get it, Georgia is not prepared for this or any snow like cities that commonly get snow. It was wild to me when we moved here that everything shuts down at the mention of snow. Would have to be 3 feet of snow when I was a kid before they cancelled school.

Grew up in New England so driving in ice and snow was nothing new, but that didn't matter in this case. I think a lot of folks forget why it was so bad.

The disaster started when the morning was cold, but bright and sunny, so everyone decided the weatherman was wrong and went to work or school. GDOT never prepped the roads either.

Then around Noon the snow started coming down. People like me left work and made a beeline home via backroads (12 miles = 4.5 hours), but most folks were stuck until the schools and businesses released them, so they all piled onto the roads at once.

That meant none of the 12 plows or 4 sanders Georgia seems to have available could get out and do anything useful.

The highways all shut down when tractor trailers jackknifed and blocked all the lanes, which backed up stuck vehicles onto the roads leading to the highways, which backed up vehicles on the roads leading to those roads. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Generally GA is pretty good when it comes to snow and ice. People just sit home and wait it out. That makes sense because it's pretty rare and there's simply no reason to invest in the kind of snow removal infrastructure you need up north.

If that morning had been overcast or looked like it might have snowed I doubt we'd be talking about it 10 years later.

When I'd have to work in New England, it was pretty amazing that they never closed the offices for weather. Plows and salt went out like clockwork. We just don't have that stuff at the ready in the South.
The thing that took me the longest to adjust to after moving here from New England was seeing a pickup truck without a plow attachment. I pretty much assumed that they all came from the factory that way.

Back
Top Bottom