• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SNOWMAGGEDON - It’s Been 10 Years! WOW!

Grew up in New England so driving in ice and snow was nothing new, but that didn't matter in this case. I think a lot of folks forget why it was so bad.

The disaster started when the morning was cold, but bright and sunny, so everyone decided the weatherman was wrong and went to work or school. GDOT never prepped the roads either.

Then around Noon the snow started coming down. People like me left work and made a beeline home via backroads (12 miles = 4.5 hours), but most folks were stuck until the schools and businesses released them, so they all piled onto the roads at once.

That meant none of the 12 plows or 4 sanders Georgia seems to have available could get out and do anything useful.

The highways all shut down when tractor trailers jackknifed and blocked all the lanes, which backed up stuck vehicles onto the roads leading to the highways, which backed up vehicles on the roads leading to those roads. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Generally GA is pretty good when it comes to snow and ice. People just sit home and wait it out. That makes sense because it's pretty rare and there's simply no reason to invest in the kind of snow removal infrastructure you need up north.

If that morning had been overcast or looked like it might have snowed I doubt we'd be talking about it 10 years later.

The thing that took me the longest to adjust to after moving here from New England was seeing a pickup truck without a plow attachment. I pretty much assumed that they all came from the factory that way.
LOL, I remember when I was driving across up state New York I saw a pickup with a snow plow in every driveway

The thing that took me the longest to adjust to after moving here from New England was seeing a pickup truck without a plow attachment. I pretty much assumed that they all came from the factory that way.
When I moved down here, I thought it hilarious to see a southerner puzzled by a car or truck with a 120v plug hanging out of the radiator grill.

When I moved down here, I thought it hilarious to see a southerner puzzled by a car or truck with a 120v plug hanging out of the radiator grill.
I don't know...I had an engine heater on my 1978 GMC Jimmy....can't remember if it was factory, or we installed at the shop...I didn't have a garage at the time, and hate getting in COLD cars!!!
BUT you're right, they always looked at the plug

I don't know...I had an engine heater on my 1978 GMC Jimmy....can't remember if it was factory, or we installed at the shop...I didn't have a garage at the time, and hate getting in COLD cars!!!
BUT you're right, they always looked at the plug
Rare that we'd need one before diesels got popular. My Dad's F250 has to be plugged in @ 40 degrees. My Dodge doesn't even have a plug and has never needed one so far in 19yrs. 9 degrees is as cold a temp it has ever been in as I recall.

Back
Top Bottom