• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SNOWMAGGEDON - It’s Been 10 Years! WOW!

It wasn't just Atlanta. I got stuck in Augusta. Never have I seen so many 2wd pickups with bald tires sliding and spinning.
LMAO !! Yeah, an empty pick up truck is one of the worst for snow/ice traveling. The bed is so light they do nothing but spin the tires.
Now we used to fill ours up with snow for the weight….or when we got smart, the night before I would put sand and gravel in the bed, cover it , then charge the neighbors to sand their driveways !! 🤣

I worked the whole thing. I was working for gwinnett dot at the time and put out tons of salt and sand. Those were a couple long days. Got to see a whole lot of idiot drivers on the roads. Especially the ones that went down Ronald Reagan parkway despite us putting barriers out and shutting it down.

I was waiting on a flight (ATL) that wasn't canceled until Midnight. We couldn't even retrieve our bags from the baggage handlers.

Driving home on I-75 I passed many cars that had slid off the road and either onto a shoulder or into a ditch/median.

I think I picked up 3 or 4 people on foot walking towards an exit so they could call someone to pick them up. It was very cold that early morning. What is normally a one to one & a half hour trip took me about 4 hours that night (driving a 4WD Explorer). I remember the storm.

Was on shift at the Fire Department. People had left their homes walking everywhere. We were out running one call after another until a couple cars in the subdivision we were cutting through couldn’t get over a pretty steep hill so we had to slow and that’s all it took. Truck started sliding back and we were along for the ride. Bumped into a couple cars behind us. Not much damage but didn’t get going again for a few hours
yep it was a bear!

I was working a booth at the Poultry Show at the World Conference Center.
Went out back at lunchtime to see what was up and immediately went back in and told my group we are leaving.
Took almost 6 hours to get back to Gainesville.

That was an interesting day... I watched it all go down from Athens, and I felt the earthquake centered around Augusta later that evening.

Be aware that long range forecast maps indicate a snow/ice event around here towards the end of the month

Attachments

• IMG_2216.jpg
    IMG_2216.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2221.jpg
    IMG_2221.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2225.jpg
    IMG_2225.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 26
We didn't get much snow here, just tiny droplets of ice building up into a big skating rink everywhere. My old truck went in 4-HI, my wife drove it to work from Senoia to Barnesville everyday at 4am. She said there were 4x4s in the ditches the entire way

Back
Top Bottom