• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Have you ever walked up on a rattlesnake!

I don’t walk up on rattle snakes, I just send Gracie the super dog ( 5 pound Chihuahua) ahead of me and she takes them out lol. I haven’t really had a close call with a rattler in years. Some of you may remember my posts from last year, where Gracie was rattle snake bitten twice, in three months. My daughter, Our local Vet, says she’s one tough critter. We have a ton of rattle snakes this time of year, here in Southwest Georgia.

We killed close to 50 timber rattlers in one year on our old hunting property. There was a lot of development going on around the place and they pushed a ton of rattlesnakes our way. It got to where I was always looking at the trails ahead of me as I walked. This was in Douglas county, and I've seen them in every monrh of the year.

Here's one of them that now resides on my desk. My brother and I were walking down the main road while deer hunting when I spotted it laying there across the road. My brother was about to step on it. He was lucky I saw it.
20220624_202110.jpg

I was checking on a deer feeder, and for some reason I happened to look down and saw one coiled about 2 feet from me. I backed up and went back to my 4 wheeler to get my gun, and the snake disappeared, but I I heard him rattling. He was on the other side of the feeder, and if not for the rattling I'd of never seen him. I doubt I would have heard him rattling if I didn't know he was around somewhere. I can't hear for s**t anymore

View attachment 4427919

Deer feeders are snake magnets. They are looking to ambush a squirrel, chipmunk, rat, etc who is also showing up to grab a bite from the feeder. I'm always on my toes around feeders.

Stepped over a 6.5 foot canebrake in Greene County once coiled under a lov I stepped right over him... and it started to rattle just before my buddy behind me stopped over it...we killed it with rocks

Yep. Easing through a pine thicket and stopped to look around. Looked to my left and there was a timber rattler coiled up in the pine straw a couple feet from my snake boot. Never rattled or moved. I took a couple pics and let it be. If your afraid of getting hit by a rattle snake you may want to stay at home. I’ve more than likely walked past dozens of them over the years without knowing they were there
I just try not to make it a habit of seeing the same one twice.

Back
Top Bottom