• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

HB859: "Campus Carry" Bill Introduced by Rep Jasperse

They need a better bill anyway. One that covers all post-secondary schools (not just public colleges), and one that simply scratches out the restriction, rather than what this one did: Leave it illegal to carry on campus, except with yet another exception, making the law even longer and less comprehensible.

IMO.

It was better than nothing though.
well hopefully the conservatives in georgia will draft a new bill and get it passed

im kidding of course, i doubt there are any conservatives hardly left anymore. i wouldnt be surprised if a large number of folks with R by their name voted for the bill because they knew all along it would be vetod by this ****bag who wont be running again

They need a better bill anyway. One that covers all post-secondary schools (not just public colleges), and one that simply scratches out the restriction, rather than what this one did: Leave it illegal to carry on campus, except with yet another exception, making the law even longer and less comprehensible.

IMO.

It was better than nothing though.

I agree. It needed to be written better. There were too many exceptions that didn't make sense and left people still helpless. This bill would be extremely beneficial for commuters, but not for residential students who lived on campus. If they wanted to carry, they would have to lock it in their vehicle first before coming to their rooms - what good would that do and now their vehicle becomes a target. Any inner city or large residential campus would have problems with this, including the one I use to work at.

If you are going to allow it on campus, allow it ON campus. It shouldn't be sugar coated for the population to accept it.

I have nothing against people that send their kids to public school, but I was homeschooled and my wife and I are homeschooling our two kids as well. We have control of their safety, content, and quality of education that way.

Here's what all the "it's for the kids" whiners, including Deal overlook.

He quotes Jefferson on the requirements for students at the Univ. of VA. in 1700 something.

UVA was founded in Charlotsville, which was on the western edge of the state in the middle of nothing (just like UGA). The theory of the times was that universities should be set in some forested glade so the the students could be in touch with the real world. Plus you were talking about an institution with a few hundred students.

I live in Athens. The "forested glade" of UGA is surrounded by a bar district on one side, and a public housing project on the another. In both, a couple of students are held up by armed thugs every week. Point being, that mommy and daddy can have their little dear in a gun free zone on campus, but as soon as they step off the campus (which they are going to do), they are back in the real world where there are good guys with guns and bad guys with guns.

Ask the students at Georgia Tech and Georgia State how that campus security is working for them. Even I am shocked at two students getting held up in the Georgia State library.

As far as Gov. Wimp's statement that guns have never been a part of campus, he is totally full of it.

Charlie Elliiot, after whom a state learning center is named, writes about duck hunting in Sandy Creek swamp, and then going to class at UGA in his hunting clothes, and standing his shotgun and game bag in a corner of the classroom.

I took my deer rifle to college and left it behind the door of the dean's office. Of course that was so long ago, you gave the gun to the pilot to keep in the cockpit when you flew.

I was at UGA 1975'ish, and my neighbor was grad. student in animal science. He wangled us an invite to go shoot rats at the "towers" at the old Dairy Barn on River Road. We would put a hose in a rat hole, and whang away at the rats as they ran out. The cops would stop and watch. I shuddder to think what the reaction to that slaughter would be today. Some of those rats were as big as a small cat.

So like I say the governor is totally full of crap.

Looking toward the next election, is there any chance that the NRA and/or GA Carry will put support behind an alternative candidate (maybe libertarian or conservative party)? Honestly, I don't think there could ever be a better time to support a third party, what with the republican party virtually imploding on itself.

Back
Top Bottom