• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Honda 2.2 Injector knock

google egr knock, up until 98 they didn't have service ports on the intake manifold rail to clean.
Funny you mention it. I took my egr off 2 days ago and cleaned out the ports because I had begun pinging under a load. It was clogged pretty good. Verified egr operation and put it back on and no more pinging.

How many miles on it.
Knocks when cold, now under load..... Main or rod bearing about to go bye bye. Piston slap has its own kinda noise.
Injectors will tick, maybe even "loudly" but its not a knock.

Shoot some video and post it, let's hear it.

So my car has been making a distinct knocking sound when its cold. It usually goes away once its warmed up but yesterday it did not. It does not make the sound at idle or cruise, only when you're on the gas (under a load) and going through the gears. Its a single knock sound thats in sync with every stroke. Is anyone familiar with injectors making a hollow rod knock type of sound?? I've never heard of injectors making such a loud noise until I asked Google about it. I'm due for a timing belt and valve lash adjustment so I'm going to do that this weekend. I'm almost 100% sure this is not a valve lash issue though. I'm thinking about picking up an injector at the parts yard when I go for some other parts and just start swapping them out.
injectors will tick but the knocking could have been caused buy one stuck open or closed....sounds like you might have a spun bearing

How many miles on it.
Knocks when cold, now under load..... Main or rod bearing about to go bye bye. Piston slap has its own kinda noise.
Injectors will tick, maybe even "loudly" but its not a knock.

Shoot some video and post it, let's hear it.

It sounds like a rod knock but its on the top end. 278k miles. Its a tight motor though. Rod knock/bearing knock typically gets louder as the engine heats up and clearances increase/oil gets thinner. At least thats been my experience with rod knocks. My engine has been doing this off and on for about 6 months or better. Only yesterday it did it most of my 30+ mile trip into work. I drove it home last night from work and it didn't make a sound, even cold. Thats why the injector theory peaked my interest because nothing else really makes sense. I can try shooting a video with my phone. I'm not sure how well it will pick up the sound though.

injectors will tick but the knocking could have been caused buy one stuck open or closed....sounds like you might have a spun bearing
Ya I'm familiar with the ticking the injectors make when they're firing. Thats why I was shocked to see people saying they can make a "knock" sound. I don't see how an injector can make this sound but I've been fooled many times before.

It sounds like a rod knock but its on the top end. 278k miles. Its a tight motor though. Rod knock/bearing knock typically gets louder as the engine heats up and clearances increase/oil gets thinner. At least thats been my experience with rod knocks. My engine has been doing this off and on for about 6 months or better. Only yesterday it did it most of my 30+ mile trip into work. I drove it home last night from work and it didn't make a sound, even cold. Thats why the injector theory peaked my interest because nothing else really makes sense. I can try shooting a video with my phone. I'm not sure how well it will pick up the sound though.
smell the oil..gasy smell could be one hung open..but if it doesnt skip or run rich????

Ya I'm familiar with the ticking the injectors make when they're firing. Thats why I was shocked to see people saying they can make a "knock" sound. I don't see how an injector can make this sound but I've been fooled many times before.
the knock could be it leaning out due to stopped up or not firing properly..slightly louder than spark ping

the knock could be it leaning out due to stopped up or not firing properly..slightly louder than spark ping
Well, my thinking is its taking place in open loop on a cold engine. Everything is cold (cylinders, combustion chambers etc) and its got extra fuel. This sound is not a pinging/detonation sound either. It literally sounds like a hammer hitting my block lol. Somebody come and go for a ride with me. I'm totally baffled with this.

Back
Top Bottom