• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Honda 2.2 Injector knock

I was a Honda tech from about 1985 until 2004. Some early 90 accords had some pretty bad piston slaps when cold. I have never heard of a rod only knocking when cold as a matter of fact they usually get louder as the engine gets hotter. Rods usually either knock or they don't, temp doesn't usually affect them. I would call an injector noise more of a tick than a knock. I'm thinking some worn cam shafts made some pretty loud noise too. Not the lobes but where the cam sits in the journals. This is from my vague memory. When I quit turning wrenches I auto deleted a lot of that crap. LOL. Could it be carbon on a piston or valves?

I was a Honda tech from about 1985 until 2004. Some early 90 accords had some pretty bad piston slaps when cold. I have never heard of a rod only knocking when cold as a matter of fact they usually get louder as the engine gets hotter. Rods usually either knock or they don't, temp doesn't usually affect them. I would call an injector noise more of a tick than a knock. I'm thinking some worn cam shafts made some pretty loud noise too. Not the lobes but where the cam sits in the journals. This is from my vague memory. When I quit turning wrenches I auto deleted a lot of that crap. LOL. Could it be carbon on a piston or valves?
Ive had rod knocks in some trucks I used to service. Once they start, they dont stop. Im beginning to think my problem is piston slap too. I rebuilt the head 45k miles ago so the valves/guides are good to go. The cam/journals and rocker assembly is most likely out of spec according the overhaul manual but not enough to worry about. Ive never heard piston slap but I imagine it sounds just like what Im hearing. Im gojng to catch it on video and hoepfully y'all can hear it. Just gonna have to catch it the day it does it.

Im going to run some slightly heavier oil in it the next oil change and keep my phone handy for recordings. I also watched some youtube vids on piston slap and it sounds very similar.

Im going to run some slightly heavier oil in it the next oil change and keep my phone handy for recordings. I also watched some youtube vids on piston slap and it sounds very similar.

I wouldn't be overly worried about piston slap, just be sure to warm it up before taking off on cold days. My daughter drives my wife's hand me down CR-v and it has had a slap for about 40k miles. Odometer is somewhere around 305k miles now.

I wouldn't be overly worried about piston slap, just be sure to warm it up before taking off on cold days. My daughter drives my wife's hand me down CR-v and it has had a slap for about 40k miles. Odometer is somewhere around 305k miles now.
Piston slap is one of the outcomes i was hoping for. You can drive and drive with it for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom