• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How many Pmags do you REALLY need? Why?

Jester7

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
95   0
Reaction score
This is something I have been wondering for awhile and certainly in the last few weeks... oh, and this isn't a rant, I'm really curious what some people are thinking. It is a free country (sorta and for now) so buy what you want but I'd love to pick your brain about why you are buying what your and your thoughts on the FUTURE.

Where I'm at:

I have two ARs right now and about 20 magazines (most are pmags). I feel like I'm good to go. I might end up buying some of the new gen3 Pmags to try out or an Lancer or battlemag just to play with but I don't "need" them and I wouldn't pay over 20 bucks for a mag. :) I have been watching ammo prices and buy ammo when it's reasonable (NOT on the ODT btw, more of the ammo prices here are nuts)... ammo is where I'm spending most of my money right now... it's like buying gas for your car instead of spending all your money or extra tires that you stack up in the garage.

Let me axe you some questions...

How many PMags do you really need?

I figure you need X amount per AR that you have... honestly, four or five works. The most I've seen from people that use ARs on a regular basis for personal defense, competitive sports or in defense of our country, is 15.

AND, do you really need em?

If you just got an AR and have one mag, yeah you probably need to get a few more. If you have an AR and 20 mags in the safe, do you REALLY need more?? I see a lot of the same people on the ODT offering to buy as many Pmags as possible even at crazy prices like 30-50 bucks. Buy what you want... but do you "need" them for some reason?

Do you need them RIGHT NOW?

If there is a 10 round limit coming up I can see buying enough to last awhile but again, do you need enough to last 10 years or 100 years? I know it depends on the amount you shoot and the type of mags, etc. but really, a lot of people put 30-60 round through an AR a month. Hell, at that rate your set of 10 pmags might outlive you :) Magpul is cranking them out but clearly is finding it impossible to keep up with demand at this point.

Also, Magazines ARE going to be available in the next few months.. if not pmags, USGI mags with anti-tilt followers (they work too).

Why are you buying so many?

Are they for your AR, your future AR or ARs? Are you trying to make a quick buck on the current market? Do you think they will be a long term investment? If you are buying them for 30-50 bucks... will they honestly be worth more even if there is a ban? Given the verbiage of the ban as introduced it sounds like you will NOT be able to sell them in the future (I don't think this will ever happen but who knows)... what do you think? Pmags retail for 15 bucks and I know that availability determines worth but are they really worth 50 bucks (unless you must have them for defense or class, etc)?

Hoarding?

I have a bad feeling that a lot of people are simply hoarding them because of the fear of what may happen... do you have hundreds stacked in a closet somewhere? :) I understand this idea... I see all the news items, videos, facebook updates, etc. and want to buy as much as I can.

ARs are the dog's bollocks?

I'll save this idea for another posting.. ha. But do you NEED to have an AR? ;)

I think it depends on what you are preparing for....SHTF, Red Dawn Style invasion, Domestic Combat, Future price increases, bans, etc.

Personally I think a combat load out + 3-4 extras is perfect for about any situation.

Gotta have at least 150 per gun; could you imagine doing 149 consecutive mag dumps only to find you only have 1 mag left???

Back
Top Bottom