• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How To Break In A New Barrel..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found that a carefully done break in can make all the difference in the world. Most high end after market barrels have already been hand lapped, so it may not be necessary. On everything else, this is how I do it.

1) Clean the hell out of it first.
I use an aerosol bore cleaner and spray it from breach towards muzzle while holding the rifle muzzle down until it is running out the end. Then I run a brush through it ten time. 1 rep is down and back. When pulling it back through from the muzzle, make contact with the crown gently so as not to damage it. Then spray the barrel again with the bore cleaner until it is running freely out the muzzle.

2) Run a patch from breach to muzzle and remove the patch once it is outside the muzzle. Do not pull it back through. It's best to use a good quality jag when doing this. I run three or four patches.

3) Fire one round.

4) Repeat steps 1 through 3 until you have fired 5 rounds.

5) Repeat steps 1 and 2 then fire 3 rounds.

6) Repeat step 5 until you have fired 15 rounds.

You will have fired a total of 20 rounds. This is a PITA to do and totally worth it. The idea is to smooth out imperfections while removing the debris from the bore that those first shots create. The last thing you want is to re-embed them.

I have found that a carefully done break in can make all the difference in the world. Most high end after market barrels have already been hand lapped, so it may not be necessary. On everything else, this is how I do it.

1) Clean the hell out of it first.
I use an aerosol bore cleaner and spray it from breach towards muzzle while holding the rifle muzzle down until it is running out the end. Then I run a brush through it ten time. 1 rep is down and back. When pulling it back through from the muzzle, make contact with the crown gently so as not to damage it. Then spray the barrel again with the bore cleaner until it is running freely out the muzzle.

2) Run a patch from breach to muzzle and remove the patch once it is outside the muzzle. Do not pull it back through. It's best to use a good quality jag when doing this. I run three or four patches.

3) Fire one round.

4) Repeat steps 1 through 3 until you have fired 5 rounds.

5) Repeat steps 1 and 2 then fire 3 rounds.

6) Repeat step 5 until you have fired 15 rounds.

You will have fired a total of 20 rounds. This is a PITA to do and totally worth it. The idea is to smooth out imperfections while removing the debris from the bore that those first shots create. The last thing you want is to re-embed them.

This is pretty much what I do with a hand-lapped, match-grade barrel.

With a brand new factory barrel, I lap them by hand.

This is pretty much what I do with a hand-lapped, match-grade barrel.

With a brand new factory barrel, I lap them by hand.
I used to hand lap all of them, but I got lazy. LOL!

I think hand lapping my old Bushmaster is why it's so accurate. It took over four hours to smooth that barrel out, but it really worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom