• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I am so pissed sad distraught

I keep think back to our last conversation and wonder if I listened or if I somehow changed the topic or made light of his struggles. Did I fail him, was I AWOL when I was called? Why was one of my closest friends putting a bullet in his head while I was on a cruise in the Caribbean????

Damn dude, that's so... out of the blue. I'm sorry for your loss. I know this isn't of much consolation but, I don't think you were in the least responsible for his actions. It sucks.. no, that's an understatement.. it.. his actions must hit really close to home but, some people have deep issues, that's not to say they are necessarily 'crazy', but rather things or circumstances in their own lives that are difficult to cope with, almost impossible.... Anyway.. don't take it personally. It's something that you had no control over, even being his best friend. Remember him, he was a friend, and that's rare and special in this world but, don't dwell on his actions...

Suicide is far too common.Women make more attempts but men succeed at a much higher %. Over 34,000 in 2011. Many more tried. I've had enough. Honestly if not for what it would do to my wife and young kids I might be one of those. My suicide prevention medicine. But my wife is deeply worried. Though I tell her she should not. My kids are not going to deal with that. And children of suicide victims are far more likely to kill themselves. Kurt Vonnegut said he would have committed suicide but he didn't want to set a bad example for his kids.. And he was rich, famous, highly respected and accomplished..

The devastation you leave behind is a wound that never heals. But the mental illness that leaves you feeling without hope and a sense of worthlessness is a hole that's impossible for some to escape. This time of year is the worst.

Hasslehous there are many survivor support groups to help sooth you anger and pain. You are a victim here..

So sorry for your loss man. As many others have said, you can't shoulder the blame for not knowing. There was probably nothing you could have done to prevent this. You're not alone though, a lot of folks here have been where you are right now. A close friend of mine & my wife did the same thing earlier this year, unfortunately many of us saw it coming but still couldn't stop her. Her mind was made up and it was just a matter of time, her husband was in the next room. I'll be praying for ya Hoss and the family.

Very sorry for your loss. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason he didn't let his close friend in on his intentions is that he was afraid you would try to talk him out of his actions. You can't blame yourself. It was his choice.

Prayers to his family and you to help deal with this life event that sometimes you cannot stop or change.The why, is always the hardest to accept or figure out.

There is one thing my Father has done for our family and showed it everytime no matter what life dealt him, he always said Keep Smiling it heals the heart.

Back
Top Bottom