• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I thought I had astigmatism.

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I've had a red sightmark Red Dot on my 14 and a half inch 6.8 SPC 2 for a good bit. I only see a splotch when I look through the site but if I use the rear aperture it goes down to a DOT. My buddy bought a Vortex strikefire 2 and I look through it yesterday and it's got a perfect dot in it none of that starburst effect I get with the sightmark. Sportsman outdoors has those Vortex on sale for $129 so I'm thinking about getting one of those. The question I have is why is it that I get a splotch on the site Mark site but with the vortex strikefire I have a perfect small dot in it? Can anyone explain this to limit to me? I know the Sightmark is not exactly a great Red Dot but it seems to me that if I had a stigmatism both of them would look the same. I will replace it long ago if I know there would have been a difference because I know it's a piece of junk Red Dot. I figured if all I was going to get was this big starburst Dot why replace the site anyways. At the price the Vortex strikefire is on sale at it seems like it's too good of a deal to pass up since they're $200 to or better to begin with. It just seems kind of weird to me and I can't figure out why the vortex has a nice small clear Dot.

I've had a red sightmark Red Dot on my 14 and a half inch 6.8 SPC 2 for a good bit. I only see a splotch when I look through the site but if I use the rear aperture it goes down to a DOT. My buddy bought a Vortex strikefire 2 and I look through it yesterday and it's got a perfect dot in it none of that starburst effect I get with the sightmark. Sportsman outdoors has those Vortex on sale for $129 so I'm thinking about getting one of those. The question I have is why is it that I get a splotch on the site Mark site but with the vortex strikefire I have a perfect small dot in it? Can anyone explain this to limit to me? I know the Sightmark is not exactly a great Red Dot but it seems to me that if I had a stigmatism both of them would look the same. I will replace it long ago if I know there would have been a difference because I know it's a piece of junk Red Dot. I figured if all I was going to get was this big starburst Dot why replace the site anyways. At the price the Vortex strikefire is on sale at it seems like it's too good of a deal to pass up since they're $200 to or better to begin with. It just seems kind of weird to me and I can't figure out why the vortex has a nice small clear Dot.
I think you've already identified the problem here.

Sightmark belongs on airsoft.
Well I figured if all I see is a giant splotch then what's the damn difference. When the rear back up sight is deployed the splotch becomes a crisp dot ( a proper dot ). It has held its zero since I purchased it second hand for close to 7 years ago. When I looked through the Vortex yesterday it was as clear as a button. The one I have now is the only red dot sight I own so I'm thinking if all I was going to get is the starburst effect then why change it. Oh well I guess I will swap over to the Vortex sight since there is a monumental difference. I had another type of Vortex years ago and it has that starburst effect as well. I guess they have made improvements since then. I really don't shoot it very often so I really didn't feel like fooling with it. I guess now is a good of a time as any to make the swap.

Greg. Read this:
Thank you good sir.
I was holding off until I get a couple of more pressing matters done but I am now at the point I just want to correct it. I was also going to go with a illuminated LPVO. Until now cost has put that on the back burner until I finished this 6.5 Creedmoor build. Then I was going to concentrate on getting better optics across the board. Something I have been neglecting for quite some time just trying to get as many builds done as possible if fear of the SHTF on capital hill. I am several months away from the build finish and then all I am going to do is outfit my rifles with good quality optics. I am not talking Primary Arms pieces either. I will have all the long guns I want for now so optics are next.

The gun I have the Sightmark on is just a short range SD gun around the house and that cheap sight works but is atrocious to look through. So I don't know wether to spring for the Vortex strikefire now or just hold off for an LPVO later. It is a 14 and 1/2 in 6.8 SPC 2 so it will still reach out and touch somebody and I think the LPVO would be the way to go on it. However for that to happen I will need to fist purchase a barrel, BCG and handguard for my 6.5 Creedmoor build first. Then go into some serious optic acquisition.

Back
Top Bottom