Need help!

alexs2006

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
So guys, my eyes aren’t what they used to be….. With that being said….

I’ve built a short light 10/22. I plan to put a suppressor on it eventually. Max distance I’ll be shooting is maybe 150yards tops. 99% of the time it’s gonna be 100 yards or closer.

I realized my 1x red dot isnt enough magnification and the 3moa dot is a little bigger than I’d like. Is there a variable power maybe 1-7 or 1-4 maybe with a 2moa dot that’s fast and light weight?

The normal way to experience a magnified red dot is with a separate magnifier (and they tend to be fixed magnification too), so if you're not liking the 3MOA dot, you'll want to get a new red dot, then pick up an appropriate magnification magnifier.

At your max anticipated range of 150ft, you're not going to have greater precision if you have a magnifier, you'll have a bigger red dot superimposed over your target.

Incidentally, this is an issue I'm having to confront. My eyesight has started to deteriorate.

Have you considered an LVPO? That'll give you the 1-4x, 1-6x or 2-7x you seem to be wanting.

I’m m
The normal way to experience a magnified red dot is with a separate magnifier (and they tend to be fixed magnification too), so if you're not liking the 3MOA dot, you'll want to get a new red dot, then pick up an appropriate magnification magnifier.

Have you considered an LVPO? That'll give you the 1-4x, 1-6x or 2-7x you seem to be wanting.
Mainly looking for suggestions, I am totally fine replacing the 1x red dot. It’s going on another 10/22 for my nephew for Christmas anyway.

Thinking about this, you have some other options.

The red dot plus a magnifier is one. That's the nearest solution to your current one, but as I said, you're talking about 2 devices, and you have to decide on what magnification you want, because as far as I know, there are no inexpensive variable magnification units out there.

Another option is a prism optic. Similar to the red dot, but these do come in magnifications (commonly 2x, 3x and 5x). I use these on a number of my guns, because I have wicked astigmatism, which means that I can't use a red dot with much precision. Target accquisition is as fast as a red dot at equivalent magnification, if the battery dies, you still have a reticle, etc. I like the Vortex Spitfires, but there are a number of manufacturers out there at various price points.

And then as noted, if you want variable magnification, you're into something like an LVPO or a regular tube scope with or without an illuminated reticle.

Take off the red dot and use a low power scope or LPVO. I have a cheap Firefield LPVO on my 10/22 and can change a mosquito’s gender at 50 yards 😉
IMG_5838_Original.jpeg

Thinking about this, you have some other options.

The red dot plus a magnifier is one. That's the nearest solution to your current one, but as I said, you're talking about 2 devices, and you have to decide on what magnification you want, because as far as I know, there are no inexpensive variable magnification units out there.

Another option is a prism optic. Similar to the red dot, but these do come in magnifications (commonly 2x, 3x and 5x). I use these on a number of my guns, because I have wicked astigmatism, which means that I can't use a red dot with much precision. Target accquisition is as fast as a red dot at equivalent magnification, if the battery dies, you still have a reticle, etc. I like the Vortex Spitfires, but there are a number of manufacturers out there at various price points.

And then as noted, if you want variable magnification, you're into something like an LVPO or a regular tube scope with or without an illuminated reticle.
Thanks for all the info. Just cruising the inter web, I think the LVPO is what I’m looking for, just didn’t know what they were called. Thanks for the help!

I'm gonna get some flak for this, but take a look at the Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 SFP V-PLEX MOA Rimfire Rifle Scope (MPN CF2-31001R). It's (as it says in the name) a light-duty model, and it's got an MSRP of about $180. I have a number of Vortex optics and haven't been disappointed.

There are places at the moment where you can pick one up for about $100 including tax and shipping (AR15Discounts.com is one place - although I've never dealt with them)

Link: https://ar15discounts.com/products/vortex-crossfire-ii-2-7x32-sfp-v-plex-moa-rimfire-rifle-scope/

So guys, my eyes aren’t what they used to be….. With that being said….

I’ve built a short light 10/22. I plan to put a suppressor on it eventually. Max distance I’ll be shooting is maybe 150yards tops. 99% of the time it’s gonna be 100 yards or closer.

I realized my 1x red dot isnt enough magnification and the 3moa dot is a little bigger than I’d like. Is there a variable power maybe 1-7 or 1-4 maybe with a 2moa dot that’s fast and light weight?
i am 66 , old by some standards, are use those small compact scopes! leupold. 2 1/2 or 3 inches larger than a pistol scope.!

Back
Top Bottom