• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NetFlix tip

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I didn't find a way to hide my location. I have been using Netflix since the first year they came out, and I've been using VPNs even longer. Netflix didn't even start trying to block VPNs until 2016 because of THEIR content licensing, and it pissed a lot of people for a very good reason. "Digital rights group Open Media says that Netflix is putting users at risk by forcing them to access the service without VPNs. “If Netflix does need to enforce, as we would see it as, content restriction, there have to be better ways to do it,”

I posted an article above explaining how at worst, it's a gray area. Here's an article telling you it's legal. Even the leftist HuffPo will tell you it's legal. And here's Forbes explaining how another system can be built to get around it. And there are plenty more articles to be found explaining it. There are even reports all over the web where people contact Netflix directly and ask them if it's legal.

Again Netflix can simply put in their terms of use that you can't use VPNs, but they probably will never do it because it forces people to drop their security, and they will lose customers. They would lose me. Or again there is a very simple way to do it without going through the VPN, but again nothing...

Oh and plug your computer into your TV with an HDMI cable. At least that's what a friend told me they did...

You're telling me I'd have to get up and walk to my laptop just so I could watch some content early? You crazy

No I don't see it as a victimless crime BECAUSE IT ISN'T A CRIME. You don't seem to care that you're making things up to justify your emotions, but by all means please continue...

You can't show me a law, and you've just shown the Netflix Terms of Use that does not SPECIFICALLY prohibit the use of a VPN. Again there is nothing in the Netlix Terms of Use that SPECIFICALLY prohibits the use of a VPN. And again it is very easy for Netflix to stop this outside of the VPN if it were illegal - VERY EASY. And I'm still waiting for you to tell me why people can't use a VPN to login to a paid service...

https://www.wired.com/2013/08/ip-cloaking-cfaa/

Dating all the way back to 2013 a Federal judge ruled that IP Cloaking violates the Computer and Fraud Abuse Act.

I am in no way saying that using a VPN to access a paid service is illegal. You will never hear me say that. There would be nothing wrong with you in the US using a VPN with an end point in the US to watch Netflix. I don't see the point unless you are using a stolen Netflix account since you have to login and they already know who you are and what you watch. The stream is https so you are not adding any level of personal security with a VPN.

I am saying that using a VPN to purposefully gain access to content that would other wise be inaccessible has been ruled illegal by a Federal court in the United States of America. That is exactly what you are doing.

The only use of a VPN with Netflix is to watch content that Netflix does not have the rights to stream to you. A violation of copyright law.

No I don't see it as a victimless crime BECAUSE IT ISN'T A CRIME. You don't seem to care that you're making things up to justify your emotions, but by all means please continue...

You can't show me a law, and you've just shown the Netflix Terms of Use that does not SPECIFICALLY prohibit the use of a VPN. Again there is nothing in the Netlix Terms of Use that SPECIFICALLY prohibits the use of a VPN. And again it is very easy for Netflix to stop this outside of the VPN if it were illegal - VERY EASY. And I'm still waiting for you to tell me why people can't use a VPN to login to a paid service...
It's illegal to steal.

But there's NOTHING in the law that say I can't steal while wearing a Beevis and Butthead shirt! It would be easy for them to put it in the law but they didn't, so that means I can do it!"

https://www.wired.com/2013/08/ip-cloaking-cfaa/

Dating all the way back to 2013 a Federal judge ruled that IP Cloaking violates the Computer and Fraud Abuse Act.

I am in no way saying that using a VPN to access a paid service is illegal. You will never hear me say that. There would be nothing wrong with you in the US using a VPN with an end point in the US to watch Netflix. I don't see the point unless you are using a stolen Netflix account since you have to login and they already know who you are and what you watch. The stream is https so you are not adding an level of personal security with a VPN.

I am saying that using a VPN to purposefully gain access to content that would other wise be inaccessible has been ruled illegal by a Federal court in the United States of America. That is exactly why you are doing.

The only use of a VPN with Netflix is to watch content that Netflix does not have the rights to stream to you. A violation of copyright law.

Yes the CFAA is mentioned in the link I gave above as well as dissenting court opinions which is why I said at worst, it's a gray area. And the case you linked to involved a company that was scraping a site and republishing WITHOUT PAYING. Of course courts don't make laws, and again there is NO LAW that says it illegal. So you can keep calling it illegal all you want, but that doesn't make it so.

And again Netflix can easily deal with this if they thought it was an issue. You also continue to to side step that simple fact as well. But your feelz... :wacko:

It's illegal to steal.

But there's NOTHING in the law that say I can't steal while wearing a Beevis and Butthead shirt! It would be easy for them to put it in the law but they didn't, so that means I can do it!"

Yes it is illegal to steal which is why I pay for my nflix account. YMMV

And again Netflix can easily deal with this if they thought it was an issue. You also continue to to side step that simple fact as well. But your feelz... :wacko:
Netflix should NEVER have to deal with this. They are not a law enforcement organization.

It is not Netflix’s responsibility to keep their customers from becoming criminals.

That is your own personal responsibility!

Netflix should NEVER have to deal with this. They are not a law enforcement organization.

It is not Netflix’s responsibility to keep their customers from becoming criminals.

That is your own personal responsibility!

:wacko: It's a Netflix issue!!! They are the ones that sign content agreements and provide it via a paid service.

People that use VPNs simply login to a PAID account. And netflix never even had the slightest issue with it until a couple of years ago. But if it really is an issue, prohibit it in the user agreement.

And it's your responsibility to know what you're talking about. Calling people criminals because you're all emotional on a subject instead of educating yourself is pretty silly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom