• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New gun owner question

Andrew86

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
Banned Permanently
1   0
Reaction score
--First time gun owner so go easy on me if this is a dumb question to ask.

Bought a S&W M&P 9mm over the weekend via a private sale. I've heard and read (and wanted to confirm) that in GA you don't have to register or have any kind of paperwork that the gun is yours or anything. Is that right? No permit to own a gun, no registration paperwork or anything? I applied for a concealed carry and am now waiting for it to come in the mail. (30-90 days)

You are correct. There is NO registration of firearms. When you buy from a dealer, they are not registering it, butnonlymrecordingnamsale for that serial number.

...any kind of paperwork that the gun is yours...30-90 days

You're not required, no. But like I have told many people before, having a bill of sale is not a bad idea. Also, I believe 30-90 days for your permit might be a little long. I hope that's not what they're telling people these days. I applied for my permit at the courthouse in January of this year (let my old one expire). 8 days later I received the call to come pick it up. Not 8 business days, but 8 days...

I turned all my stuff in at the courthouse then went for fingerprinting, they told me my fingerprints have been sent to the GBI and I should hear something back in 30-90 days.

As for the paperwork, I didn't get a bill of sale. I guess what is sticking out in my mind is like in the movies when people get pulled over with guns on them and have to show the officer paperwork on them. I guess that is only required in certain states?

You're not required, no. But like I have told many people before, having a bill of sale is not a bad idea.
If you've got your own personal traveling notary public for every buy, sell or trade you do, sure. Otherwise it's kinda pointless.

Record serial numbers. Take pictures and keep backups of those pictures in a safe place. Keep everything secure. That will be your best defense in the case of a missing or stolen firearm.

Back
Top Bottom