• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinion: Should states have mandatory training to receive CCW license?

Absolutely not! However, training should be encouraged and an easy way to do that would be to exempt anyone that can pass a proficiency and safety test from having to pay sales tax on the purchase of a firearm.

No. Nothing mandatory. Period.

I'm all for gov't meddling less, not more. You give an inch they'll take a mile. I truly believe that. I'm also a proponent of states rights. Those laws stop at the state line.

That being said, I bet 95% of the people on here paid to take a drivers test that allows them to drive on public roads. Driving isn't a right as keeping and bearing arms is but I hope even the dimmest folks can see my point. Nowadays people have to schedule an appointment to take the test and pay for it. If you want to drive a motorcycle it's a seperate test as well. However you can drive in any state in the country on that license.

It's crazy that a non-felonous citizen needs to be "allowed" to exercise their "inalienable rights". Without 50 state reciprocity tho, I'd be willing to pass a proficiency test that would enable me to carry concealed or open the weapon of my choice in all 50 states (and DC). It's all or nothing. It would also be strictly voluntary, at no point a requirement.

* I'm sure there will be plenty of keyboard commando's on here to tell me how wrong I am. That's good, because I care about your opinion about my opinion.

I'd be for a class that gives the ability to carry nation wide, but by choice only.

Here's my thing on the issue, there are plenty of folks that I would never want in a room with me if they ever pulled their gun. I go back and forth on this issue.
The there's no security with freedom idea and then would I want my family in an area that the idiot that shot the roof in the range decides to "protect" themselves and everyone but the bad guy catches a bullet.
I guess the closest solution that I would think is the state decides for itself because of states rights, but if you want to carry nation wide you can go through a course. I don't know what the answer is, the whole slippery slope idea sux.

I think that convicted drug dealers should be mandated to take training to get their carry permit before they can own a gun.

But, that is just my sarcastic opinion,,,

You either want to fight to defend the 2nd amendment, or you want to compromise and pander to the gun control crowd. Free men have the right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the constitution. If you think you can put restrictions, stipulations as well as force you to spend time and money to have the legal ability to exercise a right that you were supposedly born with, then you might as well wipe your ass with the constitution, because it doesn't guarantee ****. So my only question is, is it too late? Does the constitution really guarantee anything anymore?

Personally, i do not like the idea of some guy in my vicinity carrying something he has never cleared, cleaned, or shot. And yes, that is potentially all around. I know some of you have seen this person in the LGS pull something out that is loaded and clearly no idea how to handle it.

That's gun grabber, gun control logic. "i'm afraid of you, I don't trust you, so there should be a law against you." If I see someone doing something that's unsettling or makes me feel unsafe, they're going to get a very abrupt, very direct education as well as being made aware of the consequences of their ignorant actions. In most cases, it's generally well received and effective. I'm not going to go run to my nanny government to make a law because some kid with no dad makes me uncomfortable in the waffle house.

Our lives are so over regulated right now, we need to strike existing legislation. We are far from being the free people who came before us. No new laws or regulation out of our bloated and corrupt Government!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I see someone doing something that's unsettling or makes me feel unsafe, they're going to get a very abrupt, very direct education as well as being made aware of the consequences of their ignorant actions. In most cases, it's generally well received and effective. .

I know what your saying, but...

I'd be careful being the gun safety police to total strangers that are armed, because you felt they weren't being safe.

Someone does something "unsafe" in a car on the road and a person abrubtly and directly corrects them, it becomes road rage.

The only variable you can control is your actions...

The government can be your mommy, but you shouldn't want to make it mine.
I was referring to POST, and if you are unaware that is" Peace Officers Training and Standards Council", and I would include anyone that has been a competition shooter and passed their rigorous safety requirements, ie. IPSC for instance. Also many of the professional training companies that offer civilian training for safety and legality of carrying and using a firearm. And it's not about the govt. being my mommy its about making sure citizens with handguns are aware of safety for both themselves and others and knowing when they can legally brandish their weapon and use it safely.

Back
Top Bottom