• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

People trying to buy from Out Of State (Gun Show)

WMSproject

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
42   0
Reaction score
I went to the Dalton Gun Show on Saturday. I admit, I wanted to witness the craziness first hand. I also had a couple guns I wanted to sell.

While I did sell what I took, It took me a while to sell them. Each and every time I had somebody lined up to buy and agreed to my price, he turned out to be from either Tennessee or Alabama. One time, the guy had already handed me the cash. When I asked if they were a Georgia resident, they would bow their heads like they knew they had done wrong and then apologize and politely walk off... presumably to try to attempt to buy from another individual. One gentleman, however, did not know that he could not buy a pistol from an individual in another state. I explained the law to him and wished him good luck.

One guy didn't think it was a big deal, until I told him that for all I know he could be a policeman, a PI working for Bloomberg or an FBI/ATF agent trying to bust me for selling a gun illegally. When I explained it that way, he said he understood. I did offer to sell it to him through a dealer if he could find a dealer at the show willing to do a transfer to a dealer in his home state for him. He didn't want to go that route so there was nothing I could do to help him.

How many of you REALLY ask for proof of residence?

Both pistols I sold, I asked for proof of Georgia Residence. Both purchasers provided me with a Georgia License and Carry Permit.

I always ask for a drivers license. It's a must. All we are asked to do is verify legal age and residence to transfer a firearm through private sale, it really couldnt get any easier than that. I know it may make you seem uncool to ask for an ID, but getting caught no asking for it by a policeman, bloomberg goonie, or ATF agent would be a heck of a lot uncooler.

I usually just look at the license plate when they drive up.

I have bought maybe 10 guns off all different sites locally and have only been asked once. One time I asked if they wanted to see my Id and they said they didn't care if I were from another state..

Just said okay and picked up the gun. I assume most don't ask because I have feedback.

Been thinking bout that recently also! Most of us don't require a bill of sale or a gwl. So in all reality how do you know your not selling to a convicted felon? Not that they would attempt to buy a gun on here, cause that would be wrong.

I always ask and view if shady vibe going on..was with a friend other day doing a deal and the seller photo'd his info with phone...put a thought in my head for next time...maybe

Back
Top Bottom