• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Posting a gun for sale/BOS

I think thats fair, and also set expectations on travel and how slow/fast you can meet would be helpful as well.

If you dont have a BOS how do you prove to the Popo that its yours if it ends up in their custody? I'm not trying to start an arguement, I am genuinely curious. Would you have to sue the LE department that has it? Or go back and prove/document ownership chain? Isnt there a law that says the Departments have to return guns as soon as possible? Are they hiding behind an administrative loophole? If you sued could you get it back without a bos or ownership chain?

I've got a few that I dont have BOS, didnt even track who I got them from and I dont want to have to worry about them, what do you guys that swear off BOS do to protect your property?

It's not required to have BOS or have gun registered, if police take your guns it's because you done something you shouldn't have (and you didn't need them in the first place)

Do you carry a bill of sale for the watch your wear on your wrist? How do they prove that it isn't mine? If any of mine are taken I will sue to get them back if needs be...

This isn't a valid argument. A watch and a gun are not related in the slightest and to compare the two really trivializes the responsibility of owning a firearm.

If someone holds up a bank or kills someone with a watch they bought from me I'll start asking for and carrying a BoS on all future watch transactions.

This isn't a valid argument. A watch and a gun are not related in the slightest and to compare the two really trivializes the responsibility of owning a firearm.

If someone holds up a bank or kills someone with a watch they bought from me I'll start asking for and carrying a BoS on all future watch transactions.

You do realize that a judge would just laugh at your hand scrawled note book paper "contract" and dismiss it right? BOS hold no legal water.

Without a notary it's toilet paper.

You do realize that a judge would just laugh at your hand scrawled note book paper "contract" and dismiss it right? BOS hold no legal water.

Without a notary it's toilet paper.

A document does not have to be notarized to be legally binding. I've read that 100 times on here and I'm not sure where that information came from but someone has been misinformed. If you don't believe me maybe an attorney can chime in here.

The only issue you may have with this is if the person that signed the BoS claims they did not sign it, then you would have to fight to prove yourself. That being said perhaps I should add a place on my BoS to have a witness sign as well.

A document does not have to be notarized to be legally binding. I've read that 100 times on here and I'm not sure where that information came from but someone has been misinformed. If you don't believe me maybe an attorney can chime in here.

The only issue you may have with this is if the person that signed the BoS claims they did not sign it, then you would have to fight to prove yourself. That being said perhaps I should add a place on my BoS to have a witness sign as well.

Just because something is technically legal doesn't mean that it will stand up in court. I'm pretty sure situational evidence would acquit you being that, there are no witnesses that saw you commit the crime, video footage, forensic, alibi...etc more than a hand written piece of paper.

Just because something is technically legal doesn't mean that it will stand up in court. I'm pretty sure situational evidence would acquit you being that, there are no witnesses that saw you commit the crime, video footage, forensic, alibi...etc more than a hand written piece of paper.

I definitely understand everyone wanting to protect their privacy but I think the BoS is a good way to make a responsible and documented sale of a firearm. I'll continue to require one but sure won't hold it against anyone that chooses not to buy from me because of it.

This...sneaky bastards that spring them last minute :mad:

i wouldnt call it sneaky

alot of people i know of consider it to be acceptable everywhere, they consider it a part of doing a person to person exchange

i would always say if you wanna completely avoid it, and the other party doesnt bring up a BOS, you can bring it up, and tell them you do/do not want to do one

no surprises on either side that way

I think thats fair, and also set expectations on travel and how slow/fast you can meet would be helpful as well.

If you dont have a BOS how do you prove to the Popo that its yours if it ends up in their custody? I'm not trying to start an arguement, I am genuinely curious. Would you have to sue the LE department that has it? Or go back and prove/document ownership chain? Isnt there a law that says the Departments have to return guns as soon as possible? Are they hiding behind an administrative loophole? If you sued could you get it back without a bos or ownership chain?

I've got a few that I dont have BOS, didnt even track who I got them from and I dont want to have to worry about them, what do you guys that swear off BOS do to protect your property?

First thing I do when I get home is call the local PD and have the number ran. After that I put it on my insurance policy. thats proof enough that its mine.

Back
Top Bottom