• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Posting a gun for sale/BOS

Well, now you know, BOS is BS
I've seen a lot of weapons that people needed to get rid of for some quick cash, but I haven't seen that many ads that were for people that needed a quick buy.
LOL, that's fine, there are others ready to buy. :)

I'm really surprised how worked up some people get over this, you'd think someone was slapping their mother. I honestly would have had no idea some folks were so opposed to a BoS before I read this thread. I just assumed everyone would want to do a BoS.

The only requirement is for you to not "knowingly" sell to someone out of state or underage or a convicted felon. It doesn't say you have to pull out the bright lights and start interrogating people to prove these things, just that you don't sell to them knowingly. "KNOWLINGLY"

This is true. When I meet for a transaction I usually show my DL and GFL voluntarily as a courtesy. I don't allow any body to record my information.
If the other party does not offer to reciprocate, I don't ask. That's one of the good things about trading on the ODT. 99% of the people we trade with already have satisfied all three legal requirements. They live in Georgia, they can own firearms and are of age to do so based on their online history for the public to see.

This is true. When I meet for a transaction I usually show my DL and GFL voluntarily as a courtesy. I don't allow any body to record my information.
If the other party does not offer to reciprocate, I don't ask. That's one of the good things about trading on the ODT. 99% of the people we trade with already have satisfied all three legal requirements. They live in Georgia, they can own firearms and are of age to do so based on their online history for the public to see.

Just because they trade on ODT doesn't mean squat!!!

Just because they trade on ODT doesn't mean squat!!!

Of course not. Nothing means anything.

But if you have a member that lists his location as Atlanta and has bought and sold handguns and long guns on this site for the public to see, then you can REASONABLY ASSUME (which is enough to satisfy the law) that this person a) is a Ga resident b) can legally own firearms and c) is of legal age.

But that don't mean squat.

Last edited:
Haven't changed my mind about bos- I won't require one, and will not provide any personal info to a private seller.

I ask if the person is a legal resident, and can legally own/purchase firearms. I keep all the correspondence just in case there ever is an issue.
And I run serial numbers with the police of ones I buy-including one I bought at a gun show privately.

Just did that recently, no theft/crime records found- so good to go.
You ask them to run the numbers they aren't going to look at you for the problem. The only question I have had is "did you buy privately"? Yup.

I don't berate those that want a bos, up to them-just say so up front before the deal is made.

A BOS with the other persons name on it is in no way gonna effect you or the other person. Don't you always hear have it in writing, CYA, it is better than verbal agreement. You guys that have a problem with it are the ones I would NOT want to do business with. The only reason I want one is for my own personal records. I keep up with who I buy and sell from for me. It requires nothing more than your name and a date.

WOW!!! The attitude on this is amazing.

A BOS with the other persons name on it is in no way gonna effect you or the other person. Don't you always hear have it in writing, CYA, it is better than verbal agreement. You guys that have a problem with it are the ones I would NOT want to do business with. The only reason I want one is for my own personal records. I keep up with who I buy and sell from for me. It requires nothing more than your name and a date.

WOW!!! The attitude on this is amazing.

That's cool...there are those who do and those who don't. I respect your right to personally require what you want to when selling a firearm. Heck, it's yours.
I would only respectfully ask that if you are going to require a BOS of any kind, please note it in your post so everyone is aware of your requirements for the sale.
But in sake of keeping up with the theme of the thread, I do have to ask a question:
How would a BOS with a signature only going to CYA? Subsequent follow up to this question: Are you going to accept a signature from "John Smith" on faith for your BOS or are you going to ask to see some ID?

I would think that after talking to you a few times and we are calling each other by name "John Smith" wouldn't be the issue here. The CYA in my statement is just that. I tend to document everything and keep my own records of my firearms, dates, places, serial numbers, everything. If we had a good repour and a great transaction I make note of that too.

While in the midst of conversation you may be looking for something in particular, specific if you will, I may have already made a deal with someone in the past that has just what your looking for, I can go back in my own records and possibly find the individual that has it and help both of you.

What about buying a weapon from someone?
Do you require them to give up such info?

That's cool...there are those who do and those who don't. I respect your right to personally require what you want to when selling a firearm. Heck, it's yours.
I would only respectfully ask that if you are going to require a BOS of any kind, please note it in your post so everyone is aware of your requirements for the sale.
But in sake of keeping up with the theme of the thread, I do have to ask a question:
How would a BOS with a signature only going to CYA? Subsequent follow up to this question: Are you going to accept a signature from "John Smith" on faith for your BOS or are you going to ask to see some ID?

Back
Top Bottom