• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Posting a gun for sale/BOS

My point exactly. It would be pretty hard to get committed of a crime that you didn't commit, just because you were the original owner of the weapon that was used. That's getting way paranoid.

Plus with all the debit card use it is pretty easy to prove your whereabouts.

i have a question. If someone wanted to buy say a handgun. and you were fine and dandy with it until you asked "do you have a weapon license?" and they answer no. well you then proceed to ask for a bill of sale, and they completely refuse in anger. do you still sell the weapon when you already know that you dont trade unless they have one or the other? oh also i meant to mention the guy lives 4 hours away and wants you to meet him in between. What would you guys do? i had this happen to me and i completely bailed out of the deal, i was the seler, and wasnt possibly risking my right to carry by selling to someone that lived on the state line.

All the paranoid questions should be asked first.
The gun store doesn't start any paperwork until you have either presented your GWL or the BG check comes back OK.
If you want to do business like a FFL then you need to let people know up front.
I personally have a GWL, but if you wait until the time of the transaction to bring it up, I'll most likely tell you to pound sand and give you NEG feedback, purely on principle.

i have a question. If someone wanted to buy say a handgun. and you were fine and dandy with it until you asked "do you have a weapon license?" and they answer no. well you then proceed to ask for a bill of sale, and they completely refuse in anger. do you still sell the weapon when you already know that you dont trade unless they have one or the other? oh also i meant to mention the guy lives 4 hours away and wants you to meet him in between. What would you guys do? i had this happen to me and i completely bailed out of the deal, i was the seler, and wasnt possibly risking my right to carry by selling to someone that lived on the state line.

The gun store doesn't start any paperwork until you have either presented your GWL or the BG check comes back OK.
If you want to do business like a FFL then you need to let people know up front.
I personally have a GWL, but if you wait until the time of the transaction to bring it up, I'll most likely tell you to pound sand and give you NEG feedback, purely on principle.
ok let me ask this then, the deal was made on a thursday for the following monday. i asked on that saturday, would you still be upset?

ok let me ask this then, the deal was made on a thursday for the following monday. i asked on that saturday, would you still be upset?

Seriously? YES. IF YOU REQUIRE A FIREARMS LICENSE TO BE SHOWN OR A BILL OF SALE AT THE TRANSACTION THAT SHOULD BE STATED UP FRONT, NOT DAYS LATER OR POPPED ON THE BUYER AT THE TIME OF THE MEET.
Again, the law only requires to be of legal age and Georgia resident. If you want more than proof of that (which is taken care of with a display of a Ga DL) STATE IT UP FRONT IN YOUR POST.

All of the details and requirements should be put in your ad out of courtesy. If someone is interested, then you go through the specifics of the deal with that person during initial contacts before you come to a "deal".

Last edited:

I don't think that wanting proof of who I sold a firearm to and when is being paranoid in the least. I might argue that being worried about someone knowing your address is paranoid.

I've seen quite a few comments on here about the BoS being "worthless". Here is the response from an attorney (Morris Wiltshire, Jr. out of Athens) when I asked if I should get a BoS when selling a firearm even if I did not get it notarized:
- A signed bill of sale will be competent evidence of the transaction even though it is not notarized. There is no requirement of a bill of sale in Georgia but it certainly could not hurt to have it.

I realize this doesn't settle the debate over what you personally believe, but it is a solid answer as to whether or not it is a legal record of the transaction.

But the prosecutor says your BOS is worthless.
Off to jail you go with your BOS.

I don't think that wanting proof of who I sold a firearm to and when is being paranoid in the least. I might argue that being worried about someone knowing your address is paranoid.

I've seen quite a few comments on here about the BoS being "worthless". Here is the response from an attorney (Morris Wiltshire, Jr. out of Athens) when I asked if I should get a BoS when selling a firearm even if I did not get it notarized:
- A signed bill of sale will be competent evidence of the transaction even though it is not notarized. There is no requirement of a bill of sale in Georgia but it certainly could not hurt to have it.

I realize this doesn't settle the debate over what you personally believe, but it is a solid answer as to whether or not it is a legal record of the transaction.

Back
Top Bottom