• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommend a handgun

A3370 said:
So I just got a call from a coworker asking me to recommend a
good handgun for him to buy today. Are there other good choices you can think of?
He never owned a gun before but due to the current situation he & wife want to have
protection for the family. I advised him to take a gun safety and familiarization class
ASAP. If I find the time I may take him to the range.
There seems to be a wave of new gun buyers in the market?
For 'normal' times, you gave him sound advice. In present situation with a newbie
I would have likely gone a different route. Presently it's matter of what he can find
available at all, not specific weapons of choice. Easier and less time consuming to
buy from ODT members or pawn shop than retail outlets. Range time or gun safety
courses if not closed, are also not avoidance of crowded places.
Co-worker seeks feeling of security & protection for himself & wife. That goal may
be reached with a single shot shotgun and a few boxes of shells. Saves cash for
other things and less likely IF he ever has to use it to have an accident. Oops,
he wanted a handgun to feel safe. Okay, once again save his money, go with a
Hi-Point. Always goes Bang!, extra mags are cheap, and if he runs out of ammo
they make pretty good noggin busters.

For a new person, a used revolver in 357/38 or just 38 spl is a good choice to me. As mentioned - they are pretty simple for them to get used to, no safeties and no magazines to worry about.

Something with a MANUAL SAFETY. A newbie doesn't need something that's going to kill himself or the person sitting next to him.

Way too many newbs learn their firearms safety from watching action movies. They pick up the gun with their finger on the trigger.

Any of the cheaper Rugers will work. EC9 or a Security 9 would be my suggestion. $200 to $300 doesn't break the bank when this virus burns out in a couple of months then the gun is never used or carried.

z20180202140607-5377.jpg

zRuger-EC9s-Review.jpg

Back
Top Bottom