• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rental lease advice

Boogar Presley

Army Icon Supporter
Ordinary average guy
24   0
Reaction score
My daughter and her best friend have been room mates for almost 5 years. He's gay and they're just "besties"
He just went in and quit his job yesterday, came home, packed his stuff and moved out
They had just signed another 1 year lease last month for the house they rent in Newnan.
We considerred him a part of the family being my daughters best friend for years. They shared a small house in college in Jacksonville Ala until the tornadoe destroyed their rental house. They lived in an apt in Clearwater Fla then we moved them up here just over a year and half ago to Newnan to be near us(my daughter is epileptic) where they just signed the lease last month on the 3 br 2 ba house again for a 2nd year.
Sent us a text today saying "my happiness matters too, best of luck to you all"
Rent is due in 10 days. My daughter is 24, she can't afford $1,600 a month. I guess we depended on him to be there at night in case she had a seizure in her sleep which is often the case, she can't be alone for that reason
I'm going to start going over and sleeping on her couch at night so she won't be alone and coming back home in the morning when she leaves for work
We have 11 more months on the lease, he up and moved out with 0 notice

I guess my question is can we force him to pay rent even though he moved out? I'm going to have to pick up his half, $800 a month, if he doesn't
It'll cost 3 months rent and lose her deposit totalling $6,300 to break the lease

My daughter and her best friend have been room mates for almost 5 years. He's gay and they're just "besties"
He just went in and quit his job yesterday, came home, packed his stuff and moved out
They had just signed another 1 year lease last month for the house they rent in Newnan.
We considerred him a part of the family being my daughters best friend for years. They shared a small house in college in Jacksonville Ala until the tornadoe destroyed their rental house. They lived in an apt in Clearwater Fla then we moved them up here just over a year and half ago to Newnan to be near us(my daughter is epileptic) where they just signed the lease on the 3 br 2 ba house again for a 2nd year.
Sent us a text today saying "my happiness matters too, best of luck to you all"
Rent is due in 10 days. My daughter is 24, she can't afford $1,600 a month. I guess we depended on him to be there at night in case she had a seizure in her sleep which is often the case, she can't be alone for that reason
I'm going to start going over and sleeping on her couch at night so she won't be alone and coming back home in the morning when she leaves for work
We have 11 more months on the lease, he up and moved out with 0 notice

I guess my question is can we force him to pay rent even though he moved out? I'm going to have to pick up his half, $800 a month, if he doesn't
It'll cost 3 months rent and lose her deposit totalling $6,300 to break the lease
I'd ax your daughter if there was some beef between them. besties usually don't act that way.

Without knowing the ends and outs of the contract its hard to say the best course of action other than consulting an attorney. My thoughts (worth what you paid) are to let the landlord he vacated the property and is in breech of the rental agreement. With the rental market so hot right now it may be possible to get out of it unscathed for your daughter but communication with the landlord before any late or unpaid rent occurs will go a long way to gaining any favors for her.

If they have renter's insurance the insurance policy may pay out. It sounds like the roommate was "injured" and that's why he can't pay his portion. Is your daughter in more pain than usual over this? Or maybe suffering? Judge Judy? Judge Joe Brown? They'd both award your daughter the maximum in my channel 46 experience.

Back
Top Bottom