• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rental lease advice

Assuming your daughter wants to maintain her independence, start the process of finding a suitable roommate to move in. Sounds like you already have a potential candidate.

You never really know what's going on with someone. People do whacky things, sometimes for good reason, sometimes for no reason at all. The nature of his text message suggests something going on between the lines. Were you or your daughter placing expectations on him as a caregiver that perhaps you took for granted? Maybe it was more burden than he wanted to handle.

My suggestion is to find a suitable roommate, assuming your daughter wants to stay in the house. If not, talk to the landlord, work out a solution where your daughter pays her half of the opt-out obligation, and the landlord can chase the bestie for the balance. In this market, half of the walk-away money and an empty house for the landlord to lease out again is a windfall.

Short answer has been given, he is responsible for all of the lease, as is your daughter.

Your problem is your basic issue, which you state is "how do we make him pay his part of the lease." Short answer to that is that you can't.

If he doesn't voluntarily come up with his part of the lease, you will have to sue him, wait to get a judgment, and then enforce the judgment. The lease will be up by then.

The practical real world solution has also been mentioned - there is a shortage of reasonably priced rental units, and she should move immediately to obtain a new roommate. if it takes a couple of months to get a suitable roommate, gay roomie will liable for his portion of the lease for those months. I would pursue him to the end of the earth and little beyond to collect, see how that makes him feel about himself. Technically she should wait until he has missed a rent payment to seek a new roommate, but he committed an anticipatory breach which would authorize daughter to move ahead getting a new roomie.

Short answer has been given, he is responsible for all of the lease, as is your daughter.

Your problem is your basic issue, which you state is "how do we make him pay his part of the lease." Short answer to that is that you can't.

If he doesn't voluntarily come up with his part of the lease, you will have to sue him, wait to get a judgment, and then enforce the judgment. The lease will be up by then.

The practical real world solution has also been mentioned - there is a shortage of reasonably priced rental units, and she should move immediately to obtain a new roommate. if it takes a couple of months to get a suitable roommate, gay roomie will liable for his portion of the lease for those months. I would pursue him to the end of the earth and little beyond to collect, see how that makes him feel about himself. Technically she should wait until he has missed a rent payment to seek a new roommate, but he committed an anticipatory breach which would authorize daughter to move ahead getting a new roomie.
This is actual advice from an actual lawyer, just FYI…..not some ‘Legal Zoom’ ODT wizard.

I don’t know what the law actually is, but years ago I had a roommate bail on the lease and I continued to pay my half of the 1200 per month rent and the landlord filed against the other party on the lease and collected through the court system. I was told because we were two separate parties on the lease, I was only legally responsible for half of the monthly rent.

My lease and most leases are written that both are responsible for the rent. Have you talked to him and explained how not paying will affect his credit (and maybe his physical) condition). Explain that there could be an eviction on his record and that will keep many landlords from renting to him. If he has a job and she knows where he is, she should be able to get a judgment and collect whatever he's responsible for. It will take awhile.
I bet the landlord would work with her to help are-lease the house. In the past I would dread tenants moving out, but in today's market I'm able to increase the rent to market rates and not loose money. Let the landlord know the situation and that the house will be in move in ready condition and she will show it and help getting it rented. The other option is to find another room mate. Good luck.
He called my wife and said he'll continue to pay his half of the rent, we're calling bs. Finding a room mate is only the option at this point but my daughter doesn't want to live with strangers, that's understandable. Wife is talking about selling our house, cashing in and moving into the rental house with our daughter. I don't like that option but we'd save so much money that way

I don’t know what the law actually is, but years ago I had a roommate bail on the lease and I continued to pay my half of the 1200 per month rent and the landlord filed against the other party on the lease and collected through the court system. I was told because we were two separate parties on the lease, I was only legally responsible for half of the monthly rent.
Landlord said he doesn't care, he wants his money in full on the first. He's a Patel that owns several rental properties around ATL

Assuming your daughter wants to maintain her independence, start the process of finding a suitable roommate to move in. Sounds like you already have a potential candidate.

You never really know what's going on with someone. People do whacky things, sometimes for good reason, sometimes for no reason at all. The nature of his text message suggests something going on between the lines. Were you or your daughter placing expectations on him as a caregiver that perhaps you took for granted? Maybe it was more burden than he wanted to handle.

My suggestion is to find a suitable roommate, assuming your daughter wants to stay in the house. If not, talk to the landlord, work out a solution where your daughter pays her half of the opt-out obligation, and the landlord can chase the bestie for the balance. In this market, half of the walk-away money and an empty house for the landlord to lease out again is a windfall.
No, I used to cut their grass and he said he wanted to do it so we got them a lawn mower, blower and weed eater.
We bought their groceries for them.
Just found out his issue was with my daughter dating her boyfriend for 10 months now. He was jealous of the attention and time she gives her boyfriend. He told her she neglected him too much. Resentment has been building. We told him he should've talked to us but he's too angry at my dayghter having a serious relationship

Back
Top Bottom