• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Rome Man Shoots Himself. "Accident"

I wont carry one in the chamber for this reason. I may end up getting a 357 with a heavier double action trigger and feel a little bit better about it though!

I remember reading after I first saw that that he had been practicing with a Glock in a holster with a thumb release holster, then switched to the 1911 with a Blackhawk Serpa holster with a trigger finger detention release. So his muscle memory had him pressing down with the thumb and trigger finger to overcome holster releases, which after swapping guns acted to thumb off the safety of the 1911 and drag the trigger finger into the guard and BOOM!
Practicins different trigger control systems led to conflicting muscle actions.

I remember reading after I first saw that that he had been practicing with a Glock in a holster with a thumb release holster, then switched to the 1911 with a Blackhawk Serpa holster with a trigger finger detention release. So his muscle memory had him pressing down with the thumb and trigger finger to overcome holster releases, which after swapping guns acted to thumb off the safety of the 1911 and drag the trigger finger into the guard and BOOM!
Practicins different trigger control systems led to conflicting muscle actions.
a logical proof why you should carry what you practice

I carry cocked and locked 1911s, have done so since 1987. Besides the occasional Glock carry all my weapons are 1911 based, even my new pocket guns, a Sig 938 and a Kimber Solo. Shooting 12+ years of IPSC with 1911 based guns has taught me well about flicking off the safety but more importantly not having a finger on the trigger unless you are shooting. If you carry a firearm like a 1911 you need to practice, with empty gun, drawing, presenting and pulling the trigger but it also means practice by sending rounds down range!

Maybe if I was to switch to a 1911 I may carry chambered as well but the trigger on my Glock doesn't take much to make it go boom and there no external safeties. Don't get me wrong I do trust it with my life because 880+ rounds that I have put through it I have never had 1 single issue. I just think the trigger is too lite to carry chambered.

Back
Top Bottom