• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sandy Springs gun club shooting

Not suggesting a "dumbass", but probably lax and unattentive.

A few weeks ago I was there zeroing a scope on the 35 yard range, just me and one other shooter occupying the first and last booths on the 5 booth lanes. We were both settled down and doing our thing when all of a sudden some store assistant came in, went to the center booth and fired 4-5 fast shots of what sounded like 300 blackout. I almost crapped my drawers as I never even saw the shooter come into the range.

I mentioned this the the desk guy when I was leaving and pointed out that I didn't want anyone to get into trouble but they may want to review procedures with their staff as this sort of behavior could cause a nervous range user to have an accident. The desk clerk said that the store manager had walked behind me when I was telling him about the incident so he heard what I was saying. The store manager however didn't acknowledge my complaint or even offer me an apology and assurance that he would take the matter up with his staff. At the time (mid-day, mid week) the range was almost empty of shooters (from now on there will be one less). There were at least 4-5 staff in the store.

This recent accidental shooting was not any direct fault of the store or management, but it's hard to see this business surviving if they don't get their act together.
Just to make sure I understand what you are saying. You were on a firing lane and someone came in and fired a weapon on a different lane.

This is a problem because....

Regardless of the money invested or the fact the range owners want people to have a good and memorable experience, not ONE range in my area has a dedicated range officer. You are on your own and can choose to either walk out to ask some poor kid working at the counter to come address a reckless dumbass or you can do it yourself. Either way it's a bad/dangerous situation to put yourself or loved ones in. To each his own, but I wont do it again.
The indoor ranges I tend to go to are Quickshot (ATL) and Sharpshooters (Alpharetta). Both have ROs on the range.

Four possibilities here.
1. You're right.
2. You're being sarcastic.
3. You have friends at S.S.G.R.
4. You completely misunderstood the scenario.

You choose.

He's right.

Sorry another shooter came into the range and used a lane without your permission. It honestly wouldn't matter if it was an employee or a customer, either way you would have been scared. If it bothers you that much, honestly should you be in a public range? 🤔

He's right.

Sorry another shooter came into the range and used a lane without your permission. It honestly wouldn't matter if it was an employee or a customer, either way you would have been scared. If it bothers you that much, honestly should you be in a public range? 🤔
Is this the best you can do? I would have expected more from an NRA instructor and Chief RSO.

I belong to SSGR, and make a point to go during the week, after lunch and before 3pm. Its usually pretty empty and sometimes I have the place to myself. Its tough when you are shooting 22, 9, 45 and someone shows up with some large caliber rifle round and proceeds to shoot massive fireballs with a giant muzzle break. Not exactly fun to be in the lane over from "that guy."

Just to make sure I understand what you are saying. You were on a firing lane and someone came in and fired a weapon on a different lane.

This is a problem because....
I know that busting balls is an Olympic sport around here, but I think - with some context - I could see why dude had an issue. Imagine if you were shooting groups and it's just you and one other person on the range. Concentrated, intermittent fire of two shooters. You might be habituated to a shot every maybe 10-15 seconds? So you're in the optic, focused on a shot when all of a sudden Magdump McGee goes ham in lane 7.

It's possible you didn't see him because you were in the optic and the dividing walls obscured your peripheral vision. It's further possible you didn't hear him enter because of your earpro. I know we're all super secret squirrel quiet professionals...but sometimes the rest of us can get spooked every now and then. I don't know that I would have complained to management, but I absolutely can see getting a flinch or a jump scare in that scenario.

Back
Top Bottom