• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

I had to register my bicycle as a freshman in college with the city of New Orleans. It was $5, one time for the life of the bike and I got a metal tag/license plate. Still on the bike. The reason? Money? I'm not sure how much a one time $5 made in revenue for the city but what it did do was put a SERIOUS dent in the stolen bike market. So while I get your point and generally agree, some things are more nuanced. An increase in gas taxes is NOTHING but a money grab.

Yea, most schools do this. My son is at Mississippi State and has to pay a one time bike registration fee ($19 I think). The incident I was referring to was ALL bikes within city limits for "safety" purposes. Someone had stated the next step would be to setup and enforce laws (moving violations) for bikes on the road, possibly even speed limits, ect...

Traffic court for bikes... too funny

Yea, most schools do this. My son is at Mississippi State and has to pay a one time bike registration fee ($19 I think). The incident I was referring to was ALL bikes within city limits for "safety" purposes. Someone had stated the next step would be to setup and enforce laws (moving violations) for bikes on the road, possibly even speed limits, ect...

Traffic court for bikes... too funny
Mine was a city ordinance, not university.

I am actually okay with taxes that everybody is subjected to at the same rate. All taxes should be the same rate for everybody, a set percentage. The income tax is whacked up. I have to pay higher percentage because of the combined household income and lack of dependents.
But do you know how they are computed?

Georgia used to (recently) have the LOWEST gas prices in the entire country. Some people that live in a bubble actually think we still do. Not only do we no longer have the lowest, we are now above average. Why? Georgia's gasoline tax is computed PER GALLON, as it should be. However, there is an automatic trigger that states if the retail pump price hits certain thresholds, the STATE TAX will go up... PER GALLON. There is a provision that allows the legislature and the governor to NOT increase the tax automatically but it requires explicit approval. Of course they didn't do it and have raised each and every time the legislation has allowed. Now what in the WORLD justification is there for that? Did the states costs to maintain the pumps go up? Of course not. There is absolutely no justification of course other than increasing the coffers at the expense of the subject... err..... citizen.
Last time this happened here it was a barely a blip on a few news outlets and non existent on most.

But do you know how they are computed? Did not
Georgia used to (recently) have the LOWEST gas prices in the entire country. Some people that live in a bubble actually think we still do. Not only do we no longer have the lowest, we are now above average. Why? Georgia's gasoline tax is computed PER GALLON, as it should be. However, there is an automatic trigger that states if the retail pump price hits certain thresholds, the STATE TAX will go up... PER GALLON. There is a provision that allows the legislature and the governor to NOT increase the tax automatically but it requires explicit approval. Of course they didn't do it and have raised each and every time the legislation has allowed. Now what in the WORLD justification is there for that? Did the states costs to maintain the pumps go up? Of course not. There is absolutely no justification of course other than increasing the coffers at the expense of the subject... err..... citizen.
Last time this happened here it was a barely a blip on a few news outlets and non existent on most.

Go figure!

Back
Top Bottom