• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

As somebody that was heavily invested in Real Estate during the Bush years I respectfully disagree.

The majority of cover stories on the Journal in those years was Real Estate. That is how he was judged weekly.
The run up to the election (summer of 2008) was ALL gas prices, ALL the time, and "It's Bush's fault". Absolutely the RE collapse was news (Thanks to Barney) as well but this is about the blatant difference in perspective of 'blame' and accountability of the executive branch on retail gas prices.

The run up to the election (summer of 2008) was ALL gas prices, ALL the time, and "It's Bush's fault". Absolutely the RE collapse was news (Thanks to Barney) as well but this is about the blatant difference in perspective of 'blame' and accountability of the executive branch on retail gas prices.

Correct. But he was a 2 term president and MOST of those 2 terms the discussion was home ownership and the real estate market. Of course in late '05 we started to see a major dive but RE was so over-valued at that point it should have came as a surprise to nobody paying attention.

I do not blame the oil compnaies. They are just that, a company. They are in business to maximize profits to the best of their ability.

I guess my problem is the utilization of tax revenue (need more, need more) It's gotten so bad, that one city in GA was trying to make it a law that if you owned a bike within the city limits, you have to register the bicycle and have the registration displayed on the bike for inspection.

This of course would require a "fee", then more government workers need to be hired to process the paper work, fees, FINES, ect... Then the city gets used to the new revenue stream, fees go up, ect...

Can you imagine a six year old on his bike getting stopped and asked for his registration, oh no registration? Impound bike and send kid home crying!

to be honest, your logic is broken.
Water costs are going up because during the drought, people used less water... revenue fell. Raise prices.
More people are driving fuel efficient cars, fuel taxes are down... Raise taxes!

If everyone rode a bicycle, there would be a tax on that... You Lord and Master demands his share of your crops...Peasant

I fail to see how my logic is "broken"
Every gallon of gas you buy the gas company makes 8-10 cents. the goverment gets 40-50 cents.
Plain fact.
Everyone wants to raise hell about the gas companies making too much money, when it's the government making an even bigger profit.
If everyone rode a bicycle, the gas companies would be out of business.
My original statement was in reply to someone saying the gas companies make too much profit.
What is wrong with a company(ies) making profit?
It would be pointless to open the doors if all you did was barely break even.

And yes, the government will get their money one way or another.
They are the biggest monopoly that seems to no longer be controlled by anyone but the elite.

I do not blame the oil compnaies. They are just that, a company. They are in business to maximize profits to the best of their ability.

I guess my problem is the utilization of tax revenue (need more, need more) It's gotten so bad, that one city in GA was trying to make it a law that if you owned a bike within the city limits, you have to register the bicycle and have the registration displayed on the bike for inspection.

This of course would require a "fee", then more government workers need to be hired to process the paper work, fees, FINES, ect... Then the city gets used to the new revenue stream, fees go up, ect...

Can you imagine a six year old on his bike getting stopped and asked for his registration, oh no registration? Impound bike and send kid home crying!
I had to register my bicycle as a freshman in college with the city of New Orleans. It was $5, one time for the life of the bike and I got a metal tag/license plate. Still on the bike. The reason? Money? I'm not sure how much a one time $5 made in revenue for the city but what it did do was put a SERIOUS dent in the stolen bike market. So while I get your point and generally agree, some things are more nuanced. An increase in gas taxes is NOTHING but a money grab.

How many people know how the state gas taxes are computed in Georgia and where we rank? And where we used to rank just a few years back.... :pop2:
I am actually okay with taxes that everybody is subjected to at the same rate. All taxes should be the same rate for everybody, a set percentage. The income tax is whacked up. I have to pay higher percentage because of the combined household income and lack of dependents.

I am actually okay with taxes that everybody is subjected to at the same rate. All taxes should be the same rate for everybody, a set percentage. The income tax is whacked up. I have to pay higher percentage because of the combined household income and lack of dependents.

that's the incentive to spawn so they can have more cogs for their machine.

Back
Top Bottom