That ain’t going anywhere

I once read the book "A Rifleman Went to War". The author was a rifleman during WWI. He was a pretty good shot, so was issued one of the first rifles with telescopic sight. He wrote that the scope would shift on its mount, no matter how much he tightened it. So he got it where he wanted it, and then kept pouring salt water on it until it rusted in place.

He wrote that he felt sorry for the armorer that had to take it apart later, but that wasn't really his problem, and the mount didn't shift around anymore.

I once read the book "A Rifleman Went to War". The author was a rifleman during WWI. He was a pretty good shot, so was issued one of the first rifles with telescopic sight. He wrote that the scope would shift on its mount, no matter how much he tightened it. So he got it where he wanted it, and then kept pouring salt water on it until it rusted in place.

He wrote that he felt sorry for the armorer that had to take it apart later, but that wasn't really his problem, and the mount didn't shift around anymore.

When the Corps was building some of the original M40A1 Sniper rifles, there was not the mount and ring selection that there is today. They were pretty much stuck with the Redfield system; front ring twists in 90 degrees and the rear ring is a clamp screw on each side. It was common for the 2112's (the Match Armorer's that build them), to center up the rings and then weld them in place.

Can't find any good pics on the internet, but I have some in a book in my library. If anyone cares to see them, I'll dig it out and post some.

4BF57A6A-DC75-4421-874C-55A664AB3726.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom