• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How long does it normally take for your FFL to inform you that your firearm has arrived?

Rome Gun and Pawn in Rome are great guys, $10.00 transfers, was $5.00 until recently. Everything is priced out the door too. Great prices and excellence service.

Yeah, based on your far greater experience than mine, there's very little that is amenable to automation. Brings to mind a transfer my FFL received for me that easily took him 3 phone calls and about an hour of work to resolve because of the sloppy work of the guns.com partner I'd bought from. He earned his fee for that one, to be sure.
Had a similar problem with guns.com myself. Twice.

I told guns.com to remove me from their FFL list and that I would instantly put return to sender on anything they or one of their partners sent me. That place is a nightmare.

So with all that, considering only the ones with all the correct information, what is the average length of time it takes from receipt till the customer is notified?

Firearms go to receiving when they arrive, not to the gun counter.

1. So, if the gun counter knows the minute the firearm arrived (they either saw it come in, happened to be checking for transfers at that specific time, or receiving brought it back/notified them)

2. All gun counter employees aren’t busy helping customers who are physically in the store

3. We have all the info where it needs to be

and

4. We have at least 1 open computer

We should have the firearm acquired, and the customer notified, in less than 15 minutes.

FTFY. Excellent post. You really should have two sets of eyes on EVERY document over which ATF has purview. Just to be safe. I always insist on a buyer's good contact info, phone, address and email, which I put onto a heavy paper tag WIRED to the trigger guard of ANY gun I ship so that the shop can call the eager beaver when they get it logged into their bound book. Include a billow sail and a packing list too so the shop KNOWS what's in the package.

At TruPrep, by the time it goes out the door, that firearm has been looked at 5x-6x by us.

1. When it was acquired

2. The acquisition is double-checked

3. The employee that completed the 4473

4. The employee that double-checked the 4473.

5. Weekly, we have a guy whose job is to go through all the 4473’s and make sure they’re correct.

6. Usually, I go through the 4473’s daily.

Had a similar problem with guns.com myself. Twice.

I told guns.com to remove me from their FFL list and that I would instantly put return to sender on anything they or one of their partners sent me. That place is a nightmare.

Yep, we’ve had multiple issues with them, as well.

What can be automated, is automated.

We have it set up so that the buyer goes to our FFL transfer page, and completes all the info. That captures their contact info, so we know what gun is coming in, who it’s for, and their phone number and email address. It also sends a copy of our FFL to the folks they bought the firearm from.

We have sellers contact us all day, asking us to stop what we’re doing and email them a copy of our FFL. We inform them how our system works, and get them to contact the buyer to do the forms.

I’ve had FFL’s call and argue with us. I had one from Dayton OH call, get into it with me, then call back and get into again, then call a THIRD and ask to speak to my Manager. I’m the Manager.

We’ve had transferred firearms where they shipped the wrong gun, or the gun arrived damaged. It’s not up to us to correct the issue, but we can’t help but be involved, since the firearm is in our bound book.

We’ve had the seller replace the firearm, but not send a return shipping label for the old gun. We’ve had those drag on for MONTHS. Meanwhile, we are responsible for keeping the gun secure, and include it as part of our inventory.

In cases like this, we end up dealing with TWO firearms for the same customer; the one that has to go back, and the one they actually pick up. On the one that has to go back, we have to both acquire it AND dispose it in our bound book. The one the customer took gets acquired and a 4473 done for disposition. So, 4 processes of “paperwork”, and we only got paid a single transfer of $20 for all of it. We lose money on that deal.

We’ve had folks transfer a gun through us, come to pick it up, and fail the background check. We can’t let them leave with it, the firearm stays with us, it is still on our books, and we have to come up with a solution to deal with it.

The majority of issues I have to deal with in the shop stem from FFL transfers.

Had a customer who purchased an $1800 handgun online and have it shipped to us. FedEx showed a confirmed delivery, and that the package was signed for. I was back and forth on the phone with the customer multiple times, and tearing the shop apart looking for it.

I logged into our FedEx account, where I can see additional information that the customer doesn’t see. The person who signed for the package wasn’t anyone that works for us. FedEx delivered the firearm to the wrong location.

I informed the customer, and he wanted to know how “we” were gonna fix It. I told him that I was done with it, and that it was not our problem. We didn’t pay for the gun, and it isn’t our responsibility until it arrives at our shop. I told him that now it was up to him, the shipper, and FedEx. He called me multiple times, I had to deal with him every time, and tell him the same thing every time.

FedEx sent the driver back to the location and retrieved the firearm. All that information, each step with a time stamp, was listed on our tracking information and I could see it. Later, all that information disappeared.

A guy I worked dope and SWAT with back in the day, who now works for FedEx security, called me on my cell phone while I was home and asked me about it. Since he was an old buddy, I talked to him about it.

Eventually, the customer got his handgun, and we got paid $20. Not worth it.

I have had guns shipped to me with no paperwork of any kind. Had to get the shippers name off the shipping label and google them to get a number so I could find out who the gun was for and get them to send FFL info. I have had FFLs tell me that they were not required to send me a copy of their license with a shipment. OK, maybe not but I at least need to know the license number and who the gun belongs to. Damn. I had one lady who had me order a Winchester 1892 deluxe take down rifle and then refuse to accept it because it didn't have as much figuring in the wood as the one pictured in their ad. Luckily she prepaid so I gave her my Davidson's sales rep and told her to take it up with them. Meanwhile it will be in my safe. It truly takes all kinds.

Back
Top Bottom