• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How long does it normally take for your FFL to inform you that your firearm has arrived?

I guess it depends on who owns the store, if I own the store and you're not taking care of my customers, and you're standing around. My customer needs his transfer, I make $20.00 bucks on each transfer and you're standing around, then I'm paying you for nothing especially by the hour. You handle me 4 transfers that helps me pay my salary everyday. Then if you're no making money at it, quit accepting transfers, simple. Like one has already said, I generally buy ammo or something while I'm there. Basically owners use it as a draw just for that reason. One in hand is better than 2 in the bush.

The sad fact is that online price are beating the hell out of many local brick & mortar stores. I’m all for shopping local, heck, there’s nothing better than coming home with the item you pay for that day instead of a week later.
BUT, if a local shop expects me to pay more then they had better at least offer up some good old fashioned customer service. You know, acknowledge my existence in your shop, prices that may be higher than online but still competitive.
When I can order a handgun from another gun store across the country for $300 less than my lgs, somebody is charging too much. Then they have the gall to ask, “some reason you couldn’t have bought this here?” Yeah, 300 of them.
So they only made $20 off me that day.
Plus, let me add, I always buy ammo and/or extra mags etc. when getting a transfer, just seems right.
Seems like between inventory, service, and price, a local gun store would do well to be competitive on 2 of 3. An online wholesaler will likely be good on price and inventory, at least, if not on service. There aren't gun stores in my area, in my opinion, that do enough to compete with the online shops. If a place is 0-for-3, I'm not going to buy there just to support the LGS.

So I guess my next question is.... Why do transfers at all then? Is it just a loss leader for FFLs or is there some other value for the shop?

Serious question here, not trying to wind folks up. As a customer I always considered it easy money for an FFL.
You answered the question, it's a loss leader. The transfer itself is not profitable unless they're charging like $50 then it might be closer to keeping the lights on.

For me it gets people in the shop, they usually see my work and end up getting something cerakoted or telling their friends about me and what I offer.

For retail shops it gets people in the door to hopefully purchase some ammo or holsters or another firearm they have on the shelf.

And like I said earlier, for 90% of the customers and shipping FFL's it's a smooth and easy transaction. It's those 10% of customers you can thank for no one doing free transfers anymore.

The sad fact is that online price are beating the hell out of many local brick & mortar stores. I’m all for shopping local, heck, there’s nothing better than coming home with the item you pay for that day instead of a week later.
BUT, if a local shop expects me to pay more then they had better at least offer up some good old fashioned customer service. You know, acknowledge my existence in your shop, prices that may be higher than online but still competitive.
When I can order a handgun from another gun store across the country for $300 less than my lgs, somebody is charging too much. Then they have the gall to ask, “some reason you couldn’t have bought this here?” Yeah, 300 of them.
So they only made $20 off me that day.
Plus, let me add, I always buy ammo and/or extra mags etc. when getting a transfer, just seems right.
I don't see that at all, maybe rarely. Guess because I stay out of stores that try to charge 300 bucks more than other gunshops for the same item. Once you figure in shipping, possible cc fees, and transfer cost, most of the time I come up with prices more than the what a brick and mortar store would charge for the same firearm.

Back
Top Bottom