• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How long does it normally take for your FFL to inform you that your firearm has arrived?

You have 7 days actually, generally they want it in no later then the next business day though.

And based on average completion of a transfer @ $25 per, your profit margin is 40%, which, if you are in the business knows that is a great %.
That's why I never understood why FFLs complain about transfers.

Instead of putting up your own money to buy inventory and go through exactly the same amount of paperwork for whatever margin you can get on it, people supply you with inventory and pay you to give it to them.

Yes, your employee time is chewed up, but I'll guarantee it's a lot less than if they were selling a gun to a walk-in customer.

I use my range (QuickShot) since I get a discount there, and that the whole process takes maybe 10 minutes of their time on the customer facing-side. No idea on the check in time but it doesn't sound like it's a lot there either.

I have 3 FFLs for transfers.
One store can be very busy but has the best hours.
Number two and three have less employees and have specialized hours.
I have known the owners for years...some try to waive the transfer fee but I still pay.
I am paying for the service, time they spend and level of respect they give me.
I trust them to handle my affairs.

I rarely have to wait long after delivery before I am notified.

I don't always hover over the tracking data as well and have been surprised when I get a call ahead of schedule.

Anytime there was a problem I have been notified immediately and the issue resolved as smoothly as possible.

Respect goes both ways.
If your just another dollar to the guys your dealing with then I truly suggest you find a better FFL even if you have to drive a little extra.

My local gun shop is great, everyone knows me by name I know most employees, but when it comes to transfers they are horrible. They only log in firearms Monday, Wednesday, and Friday but if they receive it Monday more than likely you wont hear anything from them till Friday. The last gun I received thru them took 1 week after delivery. Now I go straight past their store about 15 minutes to another hole in wall gun shop that will call within 30 minutes of receiving.
Do you mind letting me know where you’re going now to get decent service?

Yeah the one I've used here a few times never calls me. I just track it and when I see it's arrived I call them to let them know I'm coming to get it.

If I run a shop, I wouldn't handle transfers at all. Bunch of whining, pissy, moaning prima donna twisted panties, want it fer free (& NOW!) Karen cry babies. LOL, drive on to the next shop Poindexter.
It's taken me years to figure this out. 90% of customers are super cool and understand you're essentially doing them a favor. Even charging $30 isn't really worth it considering the time it takes to unpack, make sure the FFL info is all there, contact customer, do the 4773, make sure theres no mistakes that the ATF will slap you for on an inspection, and potentially be dragged to court if that gun ever shows up at a crime scene.

I still don't mind doing it, but I've gone from free to $10 to $20 to $30.

I do always contact the customer same day to schedule a pickup.

You're right though and I will say if you're going to offer the service you should do it in a timely manner with a smile on your face, or you should simply not offer the service if you can't do that.

I know a guy doing transfers out of his house. It’s fast and cheap. His office is covered with Navy Seal stuff as is his mailbox.

Although he’s still at it, I’ve settled on a different ffl ever since the day Don Shipley sent me an email stating he’s definitely a phony Navy Seal. Apparently, I wasn’t the first to inquire… Whatta douchebag.

Back
Top Bottom